Author Topic: Single light Grill choices & quality concerns?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
Single light Grill choices & quality concerns?
« on: 13 August 2010, 00:11 »
I want to get a single light grill instead of a quad, there seem to be loads of after market ones about but the prices seem to vary!

This is the cheapest...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FK-Badgeless-Grill-VW-Golf-Mk2-/270597717149?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

and then this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-Badgeless-Grill-Single-Lamp-/270393681923?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

Will the cheap one be pretty much identical? Anyone had any bad experiences & that I should avoid and just try & pick one up from a standard golf?

Cheers

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Single light Grill choices & quality concerns?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2010, 10:01 »
In my experience these badgeless aftermarket grilles always look a bit cheap IMO... (look a bit out of place) If you can get to see one first or have the option to send it back i would do so in case you're no happy... OEM grille FTW
« Last Edit: 13 August 2010, 10:13 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2010, 10:09 »
my experience is that until you've put a ziptie around it these POS things will jump off the car every time you open the bonnet because the clips are so brittle they'll snap off as you attach it.

A badgeless grille was the one concession I made with regards to looks on my Syncro.

I now run an OEM badged single light grille which stays in place a lot better.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline mwep201081

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2010, 12:21 »
second link has a pretty duff feed back score.....probably avoid that one....

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2010, 12:25 »
second link has a pretty duff feed back score.....probably avoid that one....
and over priced  for what it is.....

You could try this place that Chris posted, the non OEM grille he got looked pretty good and was cheap too.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163395.0

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2010, 16:22 »
Thanks for that link I'm kind of after a de badged one purely because of the route the cars going if I'm honest. I might trawl the for sale section & see if anything comes out, if not splash out on the cheapest one as possible even if I have to cable tie it or something!  Cheers lads, was wondering if that second link I posted was any good because all the bits & pieces they sell seem VERY expensive so thought maybe it was super good quality or the like

Offline nealey

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2010, 21:06 »
If its a badgeless single light grille you are after then look out for a bonrath one, dont think you can buy them new anymore though

Offline boxer1968

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2010, 22:28 »
ive got a brand new badgeless bonrath never been on the car still wrapped in the shed does it make it rare  :grin: bought 2years ago and never fitted guess i just liked the quads :wink: for the right price shes yours :grin:

Offline JasonPD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2010, 12:09 »
I ordered the cheaper grille yesterday so fingers crossed it goes on ok and dosen't look too cheap and nasty.  It isn't a mod I would have rushed to change but the current grille and grille spoilers on my (new to me) car had been kind of colour coded with a rattle can in the wrong shade of blue and it really spoils the look... I've like the smooth look at the front and for £20 I thought I'd take a gamble.

I will post up details once the item arrives  :grin:

Offline JasonPD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2010, 20:37 »
So my cheap as chips grille arrived and I got a chance to fit it today.

First of all, it was well packaged.  No instructions or paperwork but then you don't really need them.  Took no time at all to fit and I used zip ties to secure at each end.  It doesn't look too cheap or nasty and once fitted it lined up quite nicely and I have to say I am very pleased with it.  :grin: :grin: :grin: