Author Topic: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Lots of updates  (Read 191753 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Boot pop and lift on the key...
« Reply #790 on: 26 February 2017, 20:16 »
Thanks mate, took me a while to figure it out as I've run a button in the car as well but I didn't want it to be able to be popped with the ignition on (as I can see that ending in tears) so I had to wire up a relay. I'm not electronically minded so I got all that info from Imagewerx over on ukmkivs.

It was a universal kit I had fitted on the Golf, pretty sure it could be fitted on the Mk2 as well :afro:

Plans now are to get the boot smoothed as the handle is redundant :smug:

Quite possible. Im sure ive got a boot popper somewhere that i could wire up to the rear wiper and a realay as to not open the boot while driving along.

May look into it. Cheers

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #791 on: 26 February 2017, 20:18 »
Could be a useful tool if the missus annoys me, "just pop round to the boot..."

Just another point with the keyfob, the boot pop (middle button) works if I press and hold it whenever I want but the unlock key does the same if I press and hold it when unlocking the car as per the vid

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #792 on: 15 April 2017, 20:52 »
Quick update, fancied a set of angel eyes so got some off my mate, they will be twindicated as per my current lights. Only problem with them is the lenses have had a lot of condensation in them so they are marked on the back of the glass; I'll have to pop the glass off and clean them up

The angel eyes will be DRLs once I've messed about with the wiring and found some nice bright bulbs to fit in them

I'm off for a road trip with the missus and kids next week so I gave it an oil, fuel and cabin filter change along with a new set of plugs and gearbox oil. While I was there I also fitted a rare as hens teeth undamaged scuttle panel

All done on a nice hot day last weekend while trying not to get sunburnt

I've also got myself another little bit of a project on the go, I'm fitting these bloody great things on the rear :afro:

That's it for the next few weeks as I've had a pretty big op on my arm a couple of days ago and it's very restrictive lol

Thanks for looking

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #793 on: 16 April 2017, 22:24 »
Been playing with the headlights today, shouldn't have really and I'm suffering now but what the hell...

Pulled the worst one apart, didn't realise it but the adjustable plate for the LHD/RHD cut off that the Depos have was loose, turns out it had completely come away from the lens inside. So this meant taking the whole dipped beam shroud out from the back. Not an easy job and very delicate but it's all now back together and working a treat. I also pulled the whole headlight loom out and removed the fog light projector

Then a mate dropped round a couple of spare headlights he had so I pulled the indicators out of them and rubbed them down ready for some lacquer

Test fitted in the headlight...

Now I've got to pull the glass off this one as all the marks you can see here are on the inside...

Definitely a job for when my arm is sorted

The other headlight is perfect so no mucking about with anything else other than pulling the fog light out, that one should be sorted fairly quickly :afro:

Also I have ordered some very bright LEDs for the angel eyes as I'll more than likely rigging them up as DRLs
« Last Edit: 16 April 2017, 22:27 by Wazzzer »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... New scuttle panel and full service
« Reply #794 on: 07 May 2017, 21:42 »
Few little updates for you...

Decided to do something different with my angel eyes and coloured the twindicators orange

My rear brake adapter kit has arrived and I've also had the Phaeton rear discs redrilled at work to the correct PCD so I can start test fitting that soon on the remnants of a rear beam I have in the garage

More coming soon!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #795 on: 21 May 2017, 00:10 »
Since I've fitted my central locking kit with the boot pop the boot handle has been redundant and as good as the boot pop button is sometimes I wish I could just pop the boot the way I used to. Cue the T5/Caddy rear hatch handle...

With a few mods it will fit exactly where the standard Mk4 boot handle fits and comes with the bonus of a microswitch fitted to the rear

After a bit of research and hassling Imagewerx I've found can wire this up to the existing CCM wires in the boot with a permanent live and a latching relay stopping it from working when the car is locked and vice versa

I was gong to have the tailgate completely delocked but this tidies it up and lets me keep the handle  and will probably cost less that getting the handle filled over and painted

This week I also managed to pick up an OEM load liner which someone was selling for £15!

Unfortunately I covers up the boot eyes which I have my cargo net attached to but I've ordered some small eye bolts to fix into the corners of the load liner so I can still fix it in there

I've finished one of the headlights wiring now so will start the other one, just waiting on the bulbs from China, hopefully they'll be here soon...

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #796 on: 21 May 2017, 00:16 »
Bulbs have finally arrived!

This has given me a kick up the backside to get the headlights finished now so I fitted the bulbs to the half finished headlight today

Also made sure the twindicators worked

And finished ready to go on the car on Monday

Second headlight stripped and indicator lenses in paint

The paint I'm using, really good stuff and recommended by quite a few people

I've also fitted the seals, pistons and dust boots back into the other caliper so will get on painting them ASAP

and fitted a poly front bush to a spare dog bone I have, just need to order the back one now and I can get that fitted

I also finished trimming my load liner and fitting the eye bolts during the week

Hopefully will have time to fit the headlights Monday and get the wiring done for the DRLs

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Headlight updates
« Reply #797 on: 05 June 2017, 20:44 »
Finally finished the lights

A quick double check that the angel eyes work with the provided loom

and all done ready to fit

On the car

I had the bushes come through to finish my dog bone mount, I went for the diesel variety as I don't want to be constantly moaned at by the wife and kids

Just need to get my mate to let me run it up on his ramps one evening, shouldn't take long to fit once it's up in the air

I also had my rear door module totally give up on me at the weekend so rather than wait for it to lock completely I changed it over for a spare I had

Anyone who has fitted one knows the struggle from this point onwards so no other pics lol

I also test fitted my Phaeton brake discs and caliper spacers with my spare 4mo carriers and rear beam, fits a treat

Picked up the OEM plug I needed for my T5 rear door handle and some wire to run a live to the boot lid, just need an inline fuse holder and that can be run through the car

And while the weather was good I dyed a few interior parts black, just the headlining to go but now the weather has taken a turn for the worse it will have to wait

That's it for now, I've just ordered myself a new headunit so waiting on that to turn up, I'll be testing it out in the shed before I put it in the car so will put up some pics then

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Lights on
« Reply #798 on: 05 June 2017, 21:02 »
Some good tinkering going on there Wes  :wink:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer's 1.8T... Lights on
« Reply #799 on: 10 June 2017, 22:43 »
Thanks mate, more to come!

Pics of my new headunit, it's a Eonon D2106. Cheap enough at just over £100, plays DVDs, SD and USB capable, Bluetooth connection for hands free and most importantly red illumination :rolleyes:

And a nice little touch for the startup logo

I'll be fitting it to the car somewhen this week