Author Topic: GTI or R?  (Read 643 times)

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI or R?
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2024, 20:37 »
Slight off topic but had tinkered with idea of changing my gti performance and had looked at few golf r they were basic spec with no added toys  and the interior was  slightly drab compared to the gti  that aside the garage beside myself just had in a Navarra blue s3  hatch back  which I took a drive in earlier. Traffic was bd nd no real opportunity to send it on. But the interior  again was bit of a let down  and agin few frills   Has anybody any thoughts on that compared to an r thanks

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2024, 07:13 »
Isn't the S3 basically the same car?

Things like suspension settings (some have mag-ride) and other details may be different but underneath the skin they are fundamentally the same.

I was looking at S3's myself as a more sensible alternative to my M140i.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2024, 09:42 »
Isn't the S3 basically the same car?

Things like suspension settings (some have mag-ride) and other details may be different but underneath the skin they are fundamentally the same.

I was looking at S3's myself as a more sensible alternative to my M140i.

Never driven an S3 but from what understand it is basically the same car, but apparently the drive set up is not as keen as the R and so its a little less engaging, though you do imagine that its only for those who drive more spirited than most who would notice.

Have had Audi though, and interior is a little bit above the Golf in material, but I actually prefer the layout of the MK 7, not big fan of the pop up screen on Audi, but thats a subjective opinion only others may really like it.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2024, 11:02 »
I think the R is a bit of a victim of it's own success. There are loads around.

The S3 might be an option of you wanted a less common alternative?

As for us I would consider the S3 simply because we already have the Golf GTI and an R is a bit too similar in looks.

The S3 also comes as a saloon which i prefer the look off compared to the 5 door hatch.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2024, 14:15 »
Those on here that previously owned an S3 (mk7 era) reported very hard suspension.
The later ones (mk8 era) are much better for ride.

The Black Edition S3’s look really nice, far more classy than a Golf.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline japes1275

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2024, 14:49 »
Thanks all, some really good info and opinions there. Sounds like I wouldn’t be disappointed with either, maybe I’ll have to try harder to get a longer test drive in both to see what suits me better though. As discussed I’ve also considered an S3 but it would have to be the saloon as it looks much better than the hatch. Doubt I’ll go that route though as I’ve always had VW’s and will probably stick with what I know!

My current car isn’t actually a GTD it’s an Alltrack, so same 184bhp engine but with 4Motion. It a great car and suits me well for a lot of things (towing, winter driving, light off road etc) but as I said before is let down a bit by the engine. A 2.0 Tsi engine would have been perfect I reckon! It’s part of another dilemma as well, I’ve got another Mk7.5 Golf, a 1.5 GT estate, so which one do I chop in against the new car?! Both are good cars and have a few difficult to find extras. The 1.5 is actually better to drive (even though it is slower) as it’s a petrol, the seats are more supportive and it handles better. But the Alltrack is a bit more special and a very rare car - rarer than a TCR or Clubsport S maybe?! Obviously in the case of the Alltrack rarity probably has more to do with the fact not many people wanted them!!

So I think I’d better go and blag another test drive or two, probably the GTI first as I think it’s more ‘me’. Many moons ago I had a Mk2 8v GTI and after 6 months got bored with it and bought an Integrale. After another 6 months the Integrale itch had been scratched and the very same 8v GTI was back and I kept it for 4 years! Hopefully that won’t repeat itself or things could get very expensive!!

Cheers

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2024, 16:48 »
Ahh, well in that case why not replace one with a Golf R estate or if ground clearance is an issue then maybe a T-Roc R?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline japes1275

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2024, 17:37 »
Yes, sorry, if I got an R it would almost definitely be an estate. Probably not a T-Roc R as they are still a bit pricey, interior/equipment spec is a bit poor and I don’t think I could bring myself to own an SUV!

Offline pixelcellar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:15 »
I was in your position and unsure as to what to get when my GTI PP lease was coming to an end. Did I go for another PP or get an R? Then the TCR popped back on my radar and well thats where I went. I've not got DCC, really doesn't need it, even on 19's though appreciate some like a floaty ride, in which case DCC in comfort will likely sort you out but without its plenty compliant whilst not rolling all the time. Didn't feel much difference switching from the 18's it came with to aftermarket Ultraleggara's either. I also love the fact that you just don't see them about much, I know there are around 3 or so in a 30 mile radius of me, I've never seen one on the road at all, certainly not in the only colour I'd have ever chosen, the grey.

Price as always comes into things, PP's are cheap enough and over time and spend money you could get it close to a TCR (kind of), R's are good to go but a bit safe and boring (and everyone has one), TCR's are in essence a limited edition 2wd R and are amazing to drive.

If you can afford one, go for it, a lot have mileage on them appropriate for the year, I was lucky and got one with 6k on it for similar prices to the 15+ k mileage cars out there and was pretty much pristeen. You'd not regret it, especially if you're looking to keep for a fair while like I am.
2024 - Current: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi TCR 286bhp, 5dr, Pure Grey, 7spd DSG, 19" Oz Ultraleggera HLT Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Side Assist, Rear View Camera
2020 - 2024: 2019 Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 245bhp, 3dr, Deep Black Pearl, 6spd Manual, 19" Brescia Alloys, Park Assist, Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA, Rear View Camera
2017 - 2020: 2017 Mk5 Polo GTi 190bhp, 3dr, Metallic Black, 6spd Manual, 17" Santiago Alloys