Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 379889 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1420 on: 02 November 2012, 12:15 »
^ the difference is the Renault sport models are made elsewere so they are often better made. (I don't like Renault or PSA cars mainly as i spent years been paid to fix them so would not have one myself)
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1421 on: 02 November 2012, 12:36 »
It's only certain mechanical components that are bespoke to the Renault Sport models. The rest of the car is still made from the same melted down yoghourt pots and tin foil as the rest of the range. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1422 on: 02 November 2012, 16:59 »
My mates looking for a TDI 140 BHP his Budget £6000,500 ? Would be able to get one for that kind of money ? :undecided:

TDI140 what?

ie Golf 5 or 6 or yeti or tiggy?
Golf Doc  :undecided:

I'll take a look  :wink:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1423 on: 02 November 2012, 17:08 »
My mates looking for a TDI 140 BHP his Budget £6000,500 ? Would be able to get one for that kind of money ? :undecided:

TDI140 what?

ie Golf 5 or 6 or yeti or tiggy?
Golf Doc  :undecided:

I'll take a look  :wink:

MK5 for about 7K:

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 TDI 140 GT SPORT Leather trim, RED, 5 doors, Diesel, 89414 miles, Qualifying YR58 AVP

Last Srvc - 09/12 87k, Leather Trim, Srvc Bk - 5 srvc 2 main dlr, V5 - 1 KEEPER

MK6 for about £7.5k

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 2.0 TDI 140 GT, WHITE, 5 doors, Diesel, 101019 miles, Qualifying PK59 LVL

Bluetooth, 18" Alloy Wheels, Last Srvc - 05/12 86k main dlr, Srvc Bk - 5 srvc all main dlr

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1424 on: 02 November 2012, 17:29 »
t be honest ive come to the conclusion that its not a drivers car so treat it as such now and was going to wait until it was financially less painful to part ex it

the problem is though that i dont thrash the car, ive usually got babies in the back so drive vary carefully and on good roads and treat the car really pedantically and it still rattles its arse off.

i really cant see how this is a great 'everyday' car when every day i drive it its sounds like the interior is trying to rattle itself to pieces. its the worse car ive ever owned for build quality.

today i was very close to just driving to the nearest dealer and asking them to just buy the thing back of me!

im going to jave to just cut my losses i think and get out of this car and into something else...

the weird/sad thing is no matter how much it does my head in or i hate it when i drive it im always in a rush to spend a day cleaning it. :undecided:

Renalts are far worse than GTI's. I have to say Ive had 5  including ED30 GTI's 1 mk6 GTD and non of them had rattles. Get it into the dealers sort it for you. :smiley:

problem is the rattle are intermittent. if someone sits in the passanger seat the worst one stops - but the strange thing is im sure its not the seat - i think its under the carpet or sill trim under the door but its impossible to track down as i cant reach it from the drivers seat.

if i pull over and open the passenger door and just lightly bash the trim panels around the area gently with my hand the rattle/squeak/ticking stops.

plus the dealers are the biggest bunch of clowns ive come across so would relish them systematically ripping my interior apart.

the problem is like snoopy says; i fix one rattle then another one starts. plus i dont really like listening to the radio in the car.

ive managed to fix most (handbrake, rear seat bench, arm rest, drivers door, middle air vent) myself but the one in the passenger footwell is just a nightmare to locate.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1425 on: 02 November 2012, 17:37 »

I'm with you on this one pal, I was very disappointed in my gti.

I disliked:
The road noise was the worst car I've had for that.
The engine wasn't good enough in any way, standard map was crap, it's was lumpy, to far forward, and rubbish on fuel making you guilty when you booted it and still wasn't fast enough for the mpg.
Front wheel drive was daft too much wheel spin and embarsasing banging noise when it span.
Stereo was pants sounded rubbish and couldnt be turned up load enough to compensate for the road noise with out distortion.
The bulk head leaking and causing ice on the inside of the windscreen, again embarsasing.
The fact that a gtd was basically the same speed.
The price, it was just £5000 to expensive, they had it right in 2005 when it was £20,000. My 61 plate was basically the same car, some say a little better than the mk6.
The standard non xenon head lights are just dangerous to drive fast with at night, If I remember we figured out that a walker at the side of the road wouldn't be seen until you where about 30m away, not much chance of stopping for that when your enjoying your gti. This means you need to spend £1300~ on xenons which are ace but about £500 too expensive. Not fair.
Bridgestone tyres are dangerous.
The part exchange price, I lost £6750 in 7 months on a car thats supposed to hold its money.

It looked boss, in every way inside and out.
The mk6 dash is lovely to look at and felt great, until you get down past your knee level but that's fine.
The ride was great but I had magnetic suspension in comfort all the time, sport was useless.
The monza wheels are just the best looking wheels you can buy, and should be at £400 each.
I liked my dealers.
The dsg gearbox was near perfect and is something I use as a benchmark when driving cars, I loved it and think it made the car for me.
I liked the touchscreen headset and nav and the Bluetooth was nice to use. Bought off  here for £500 not from the factory for £1600~
40mpg at 70mph was very good.
Led tail lights where lovely.

totally agree with alot of your points;

i love my car to look at both inside and out. i get more pleasure cleaning it than driving it - sad but true. the wheels are stunning and really set the car off and the interior is very nice (if you have earplugs)

road noise from tyres - totally agree - i think if the car came with PS3 or SC3/SC5 tyres it would be a different car altogether (maybe even rattle less as the bridgestones are extremely 'buzzy')

and the price is a joke, your right.

headlights; totally agree a £27500 car should have decent headlights. the normal ones are pants. my 197 had xenon with cornering lights and theyre were amazing.

some things i wouldnt agree with you on are the stereo and the mpg. for 250bhp to get 40mpg on a run to aberdeen and back is excellent. my cooper s and clio sport would struggle to reach 26mpg regardless on how i drove it.

the stereo in mine with the dynaudio is very good and worth the money though. ot sure which you had but im pleased with mine

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #1426 on: 02 November 2012, 17:56 »
went to look at 2 cars today;

a RS 250 megane with leather recaros and cup pack. :evil:

and had a test drive of this
http://www.westernnewcastle.co.uk/ford/used-cars/Ford/Focus_Hatchback_3-Door/2010/602696251/

things i liked about the RS were it was quite fun to drive, very OTT and brash but thats the point.

it felt very mechanical and responsive. the diff feels great, the engine sounds fantastic and the seats are class.

the cabin didnt rattle

very little body roll

clutch actually has a biting point

brakes actually work in the first inch of travel, as does the throttle pedal

things i didnt like;

a yobo coming the oposite way flashed me with thumbs up... not the type of people im out to impress

when lifting off the throttle to change up you get a huge shove in the back if the turbo is boosting. makes the car very hard to drive about tow smoothly.

you sit FAR to high up in the car

the ride around town/low speed is very fidgety

it feels HUGE. i mean massive. makes the golf feel tiny in comparison.

some things i didnt expect/ive noticed;

My GTI is definitely quicker. i expected massive in gear pull from the RS but i found it had a bit of turbo lag. below 2000 rpm its gutless, my GTI is really flexible at this rpm.

my GTI definitely pulls better in a gear and feels alot lighter on its feet. it just doesnt sound as special in doing so.

My GTI (on bilsteins) rides beautifully both round the town and on twisty stuff - but rolls a lot .

so after i drove that i went to see the megane.

as soon as i sat in it i was home. i just really feel comfortable in renaultsport's.

the pedals are just perfectly placed (no floor hinged nonsense), the recaros are perfect, driving postion is spot on, gear lever better placed and much nicer feel slotting home.

im going to arrange a test drive in it for next week but i came away really impressed.

PS3's all round, brembos with slotted discs, a LSD and the proper seats, LED DRL and xenons. very nice motor

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #1427 on: 02 November 2012, 19:15 »
What about a slightly older e90 M3?
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1428 on: 02 November 2012, 19:30 »
I've always fancied a shot in an RS but fear i'd feel the same as you and having read that review i don't think i'll bother! The Megane on the other hand is a different story, although i hate the thought of losing so much in depreciation they are sexy imo! I know it's boring but i love it in grey! :evil:

When you say your car creaks is it from the doors? I had real issues with my door seals creaking, so much that they replaced them all! But even the new ones creaked a little but i found that putting some decent wax round the door openings sorted the problem.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1429 on: 02 November 2012, 19:31 »
Suprised about the rs feel of speed I expected it to be better, as I didn't think yours felt that fast or had much shove in the back. I'm actually disapointed in my standard one compared to the tdi  :shocked:
Maybe its because my mate mike has a few 200+ bhp audi/lancia/fiats/alfas cars from the  1990s which just feel so much faster.

« Last Edit: 02 November 2012, 19:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.