Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 384816 times)

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1890 on: 19 June 2013, 23:55 »
thanks Snoopy.
DriveTheDeal don't do part ex's but surely the dealers do as they claim they use franchise dealers?
Surely buying online or at a local dealership would give you the same service, except of the locality of the online sought dealer? 

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1891 on: 20 June 2013, 00:19 »
Hi I'm looking to replace my gti for an audi A7 and I stumbled on this website which offers 10 grand discount on audi A7's and £1289 off a new Golf GTi (mark 7).  Website is: orangewheels.co.uk
is this legit or too good to be true?  Been faffin' about between a used A7, a new A7, a new S4 and others.
The deals on the audi A7 look very good indeed.

I've used OrangeWheels. 

Used them back in 2008 when I bought my last mk5 and got a good discount.    Specced car up on their website and VW dealer in Macclesfield called and deal was done, including part ex on my previous mk5. Whole experience was painless and service excellent.  They offered to drive new car down to me but I went and collected it, swapped cars and had a great drive home.

Decided to do it that way after getting fed up with my local VW dealer's total lack of interest in selling me a new car. 
« Last Edit: 20 June 2013, 08:25 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1892 on: 20 June 2013, 06:10 »
thanks Snoopy.
DriveTheDeal don't do part ex's but surely the dealers do as they claim they use franchise dealers?
Surely buying online or at a local dealership would give you the same service, except of the locality of the online sought dealer?
When you buy from a broker you are buying from the fleet side of the dealership buisness the same as company when they buy fleets of cars. You are not buying from the the general public side of the buisness. Therefore it depends how thw dealers they deal with is setup. If they run there outfit as different companys a part ex becomes morw complicated.  Also the fleet side will not be use to dealing with part exchanges.
This is why brokers often get better price and better margins than the standard sales general public side as they are not always dealing with the same side of the buisness.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1893 on: 28 June 2013, 01:10 »
Anyone got tips on selling privately using autotrader?  I want to sell my car asap but it still has finance till september.  What are the do's and don't's?.........
-  Do we meet up at my address?
-  Cheques a no,no,
-  Bank transfer is good or cash to bank,
-  keep car till transaction is legit
-  only except full payment,
- What do I do with the outstanding finance?
-  never let them test drive alone,
-  is it safe? with all those people on tv having problems with false payments, stolen cars etc..
- what needs to be done... cancel road tax etc...
-  what can you claim back?  tax disc etc...
any advice is good advice as i feel this is the only option to get a fair price and to take advantage of a deal on drivethedeal.
I'm looking to get an Audi S4 Avant black edition.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2013, 01:13 by denyason »

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #1894 on: 28 June 2013, 08:29 »
Anyone got tips on selling privately using autotrader?  I want to sell my car asap but it still has finance till september.  What are the do's and don't's?.........
-  Do we meet up at my address? Yes
-  Cheques a no,no, (Bankers drafts might be ok, pay to ensure the bank push it through and no car until its definetly clear)
-  Bank transfer is good or cash to bank,( Get cash instead)
-  keep car till transaction is legit (of course)
-  only except full payment, (well after haggling people rarely pay the asking price).
- What do I do with the outstanding finance? ( You pay it off most will want to see evidence of this)
-  never let them test drive alone, (correct)
-  is it safe? with all those people on tv having problems with false payments, stolen cars etc.. (nothings ever one hundred percent safe)
- what needs to be done... cancel road tax etc... (no it stays in the car otherwise how do they leave)
-  what can you claim back?  tax disc etc... (no they get the tax included in the sale - unless trading it in)
any advice is good advice as i feel this is the only option to get a fair price and to take advantage of a deal on drivethedeal.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #1895 on: 28 June 2013, 14:11 »

-  Do we meet up at my address? Yes

-  Cheques a no,no, Only OK if they are happy to wait a full 7 days for it to clear i.e. avoid

-  Bank transfer is good or cash to bank BT is good as you can check it is in your account before you hand over the keys or take a Bankers draft or cash and pay in at your bank with them there,

-  keep car till transaction is legit Absolutely

-  only except full payment,Take a deposit if they are serious but 100% full payment on agreed price or no deal

- What do I do with the outstanding finance? Inform your finance company before you sell and pay full amount on payment or finance company may provide you with a letter and ask the buyer to pay them the outstanding amount and you just the balance

-  never let them test drive alone even if you are with them, make sure they are insured to drive your car and don't get out of the car and leave the engine running - only hand them the keys when you are safely sat in the passenger seat!,

-  is it safe? with all those people on tv having problems with false payments, stolen cars etc.. nothing is 100% so be careful - perhaps have a mate with you when viewing etc.

- what needs to be done... cancel road tax etc... I wouldn't keep the tax disc - use it to negotiate with but it has to stay on the car or they will need to tax it before driving off

-  what can you claim back?  tax disc etc... see above

I'm looking to get an Audi S4 Avant black edition. nice  :cool:
« Last Edit: 28 June 2013, 14:13 by Buck »

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1896 on: 29 June 2013, 01:25 »
thanks Buck.  Very useful advice.   

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1897 on: 29 June 2013, 07:29 »
-  Do we meet up at my address?
-  Cheques a no,no,
-  Bank transfer is good or cash to bank,
-  keep car till transaction is legit
-  only except full payment,
- What do I do with the outstanding finance?
-  never let them test drive alone,
-  is it safe? with all those people on tv having problems with false payments, stolen cars etc..
- what needs to be done... cancel road tax etc...
-  what can you claim back?  tax disc etc...
My advice after selling loads of cars is use pistonheads classifieds for cars like these rather than autotrader.
Meet at the address on your v5c logbook
Your finance is an issue. You need to write a letter to agree to clear the finance once the cars sold as the car actually belongs to the finance company and could be claimed back by them off any new owner if you dont pay it off. Best to ask your loans company for a letter with the settlement figure you can show any buyer to show your serious about paying it off.
Take a deposit after you agree a price and to sell to them to make sure there serious and not messing you about.
Cash is always best.
Ask to see their insurance documents YOU could end up with 6 points and an IN14 if stopped by the police and there not insured.
Road tax goes with the car.
Always leave bargaining room in the price.
And dont worry its much easier  dealing with the public than a car sales manq when your the buyer.
Oh and dont listen to the phone calls to offert sell by  third party company to sell your car for you as they have someonw on there list after a car line yours and you only have to pay 50 quid to join bs calls.

« Last Edit: 29 June 2013, 07:41 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline denyason

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1898 on: 29 June 2013, 08:40 »
Cheers Snoopy.  Very useful info.
I've been changing my mind on what to get the best few weeks- its like a kid in a sweet shop.....first it was an used Audi A7, then a new one, then a new Audi S4 Avant, then it was the new BMW 4 series, a glimpse of the 5 series, also the merc CLS, now it looks certain I'm going for the new Range Rover Sport SE out in Jan- reason being my cousin works for Jaguar so I'm getting 20% off, £11000 discount   :grin:  Its going to be a big ask financially from a gti to that, we shall see...

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #1899 on: 08 July 2013, 23:30 »
A panamera.