Author Topic: another MFA prob!!!  (Read 8040 times)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: another MFA prob!!!
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2007, 11:36 »
definitly sounds like the wire is shorting out somewhere to me
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2007, 15:30 »

i bought a new temp switch (eventually! as its actually called pressure switch and i got given the wrong bit by the nice man at VW)

Sure you got the right bit? you need:

049 919 563 A   "oil temperature gauge sender" £12.19

white colar 0-180C

Offline jammac

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2007, 09:57 »

[/quote]

Sure you got the right bit? you need:

049 919 563 A   "oil temperature gauge sender" £12.19

white colar 0-180C
[/quote]

that isnt the correct part. thats the bit i got given first time around. its completely differant to the forward most switch on top of the oil filter housing with the green and black wire as discribed by rubjohny i think.

it has the same thread but its alot smaller, it doesnt have that big white insulation around it also theres no spade connecter.

i went back in with the bit discribed after taking it off the car and the guy instantly said thats the oil pressure switch and went to fetch one for me.

but still no joy!  :sick:

ITS A TRAP!

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2007, 10:12 »
^ I think your swapping the wrong bit then!  I am certain I have given the right part #.  Its defo the green and black wire though.  Would you like a pic?

I wonder if your wires are crossed.  :shocked:

RubJ - please confirm the part number  :smiley:

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2007, 10:45 »
Right the rain has stopped so here you go.  The red arrow is your oil temp sender on a 91H 8v GTI  :smiley:

Hope this helps  :smiley:

Offline jammac

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2007, 11:18 »
hmmm how queer! thats what i changed. mine is differant to that one though! the part number you are quoting is the one they gave me at VW 1st time around.

the one i have fitted is exactly the same as the original one. my golf is a 91J 8v gti.

as the oil temp has never worked since ive had the car maybe a previous owner fitted the wrong bit???

however that part number you have quoted has a differant top end and so the spade connected wouldnt fit onto it???

ill get some pics if i can. maybe ill go back to vw and get another one touch the wires and see what happens??

annoyingly now i havent got the part number of the switch i have fitted as i returned the original part and just swopped it without bothering with a receipt! GRRRR i wont do that again!  :angry:

ITS A TRAP!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2007, 12:26 »
That is the oil temp sender you are replacing, Simon that part # is for a VDO oil temp guage, the correct sender for the MFA is this one:
049 919 501 - temp sender, 1 pin black, 0-125degrees - 22.80+VAT

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2007, 13:15 »
I was gonna say why bother fixing the MFA, until i realised that it's the oil temp thats fooked, as this is the only mfa function i use!
 :smiley:

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2007, 13:23 »
hmm, the plot thickens  :laugh:

I have just looked at my VAG invoice from when mine failed and it says 049919563A Gauge £12.19.  This is fitted and in the pic you can see it has a white colar.  It works perfect (90's arround town and 100 ish at 70mph) and I have verified the temp reading with a contact thermometer  :nerd:

btw, John, your posts in the past have been of great help to me when I was a lurker. Thanks  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 29 May 2007, 17:39 by Simon8v91 »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2007, 09:58 »
Problem with a contact thermomiter is its telling you how hot the engine block is, not the oil ;)
It may still read correctly I guess, just up to 180 rather than 125.  Even if it reads incorrectly it should still show something on the oil temp setting!