Author Topic: What clutch rts or Sashs organic . Please advise  (Read 3186 times)

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
Re: What clutch rts or Sashs organic . Please advise
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2021, 00:15 »
I'm literally just rolling but have the clutch fully down. I'll try it again and make sure I'm at a full stop before putting it into first and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip

No worries, a lot of the German cars I've owned have been reluctant to go into first at the best of times.  :smiley:

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2021, 09:54 »
No worries, a lot of the German cars I've owned have been reluctant to go into first at the best of times.  :smiley:

It's usually reverse for me on my previous cars. I reverse off my drive and in my last car I had to go into first and then reverse to stop it grinding. I don't have that issue with the GTi :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2021, 20:50 »
Is the ECU in the car 100% definitely stock? No chance it is or ever has been remapped?
The mk7 manuals came with a sturdy riveted metal casing around the ECU where the DSG cars just had a flimsy plastic cage holding the ECU in place.
Why would VW have gone to all the trouble of having differing ECU cages if they didn’t need to? They knew darned well the manual clutches were weak and didn’t want anyone opening the ECU cage to modify the electronic brain for more power on the manual cars.

Sometimes clutch slip can be caused by people slipping the clutch and the facings getting glazed. Nowt to lose by giving the clutch a bit of a hard work out in the lower gears to try and remove the glazing which might help prolong its serviceability. The worst that can happen is for the clutch to slip more which isn’t a huge issue if you’re planning replacing it anyway.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 04 June 2021, 11:06 »
Is the ECU in the car 100% definitely stock? No chance it is or ever has been remapped?
The mk7 manuals came with a sturdy riveted metal casing around the ECU where the DSG cars just had a flimsy plastic cage holding the ECU in place.
Why would VW have gone to all the trouble of having differing ECU cages if they didn’t need to? They knew darned well the manual clutches were weak and didn’t want anyone opening the ECU cage to modify the electronic brain for more power on the manual cars.

Sometimes clutch slip can be caused by people slipping the clutch and the facings getting glazed. Nowt to lose by giving the clutch a bit of a hard work out in the lower gears to try and remove the glazing which might help prolong its serviceability. The worst that can happen is for the clutch to slip more which isn’t a huge issue if you’re planning replacing it anyway.I’ll check the ecu rivets today at some point when it stopped raining, all the psi in the performance monitor is reading about 30 psi under full boost which I read is about right, it did cross my mind that it might of been remapped but there is no tell tail signs that it has been.
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 04 June 2021, 13:22 »
In reality nobody will have actually broken the rivets to access the ECU, I was using it as an example of the lengths VW went to.
The car would have either been mapped via the OBD11 port or had a tuning box added (and then removed before sale in the latter’s case).
There would be no way of knowing if it had an OBD tune unless you got it on the dyno and even that could theoretically have been easily removed.
The only tuning box I’m aware of that fits using the actual ECU loom (and therefore the cage needs removing) is from Abt and that’s “factory” warranted in Germany anyway, plus it costs an arm and both legs so almost nobody ever bought one when you can get a Racechip or DTUK for much less and they’re much easier to fit and remove.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 04 June 2021, 18:20 »
In reality nobody will have actually broken the rivets to access the ECU, I was using it as an example of the lengths VW went to.
The car would have either been mapped via the OBD11 port or had a tuning box added (and then removed before sale in the latter’s case).
There would be no way of knowing if it had an OBD tune unless you got it on the dyno and even that could theoretically have been easily removed.
The only tuning box I’m aware of that fits using the actual ECU loom (and therefore the cage needs removing) is from Abt and that’s “factory” warranted in Germany anyway, plus it costs an arm and both legs so almost nobody ever bought one when you can get a Racechip or DTUK for much less and they’re much easier to fit and remove.

Oh rite cheers for letting me know. I suppose there’s just no way of really knowing?
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 28 June 2021, 19:14 »
Quick update I need a flywheel too , not having much luck, here some pics