Author Topic: Raging  (Read 9689 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Raging
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2013, 14:26 »
To be honest, your VW dealer / salesman won't be much help to you here... not in my experience at least. Your best bet is to get recommendations for a good local smart-repairer / paintless-dent removal experts or worst case scenario, a decent paint shop.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2013, 14:31 »
To be honest, your VW dealer / salesman won't be much help to you here... not in my experience at least. Your best bet is to get recommendations for a good local smart-repairer / paintless-dent removal experts or worst case scenario, a decent paint shop.

If it’s bad enough to flake paint off the door I’d want the door doing properly (maybe not if I was getting shot of it in a few weeks, but you only just got it)  – not some smart paint job. I leave small dings which haven’t affected the paint at all, or scratches to the chips away etc lot. Get it to a proper bodyshop at the lass’ (or her insurance) expense.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 14:34 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2013, 15:51 »

If it’s bad enough to flake paint off the door I’d want the door doing properly (maybe not if I was getting shot of it in a few weeks, but you only just got it)  – not some smart paint job. I leave small dings which haven’t affected the paint at all, or scratches to the chips away etc lot. Get it to a proper bodyshop at the lass’ (or her insurance) expense.

I know exactly what you mean, but the flip side is I'd hate the thought of having to repaint a whole panel (and adjoining panels!) on such a new car for what is a very small ding. If it were at all possible to do a smart repair I'd investigate that first... it would be a shame to repaint half the side of a factory fresh car unless absolutely necessary IMO.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2013, 16:23 »
I agree with Monkey Hanger.  If it's worth doing, have it done properly. Else you will always look at it as if there something not quite right about it. 

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2013, 16:49 »
Gutted for you.What was her reaction?I hope she is paying for the damage.Gust of wind or no gust of wind she should take more care.Tell us she's paying please!
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2013, 18:23 »
I called into the body shop tonight and they have stated the whole side of the car needs to be resprayed and all trim removed  :angry: Final quote £703.46.

My brother is a car detailer on the side and he thinks id be mad to get it resprayed and a good PDR session should sort it. I know my dad had great success with this after his car was attacked by a screw driver a few years back. I think I'll chase that tomorrow...

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2013, 18:26 »
703?! It gets worse.

The is the big worry with having a new car, other idiots :(

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2013, 18:37 »
Do VW have a dedicated body repair workshop? The reason I ask is that I know Audi have their own which I have used before and they were excellent. If VW did have a similar set up I would rather it take it to them than an independent.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2013, 18:38 »
I hope you've got her details so you can get the silly mare to pay for it.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2013, 18:40 »
I called into the body shop tonight and they have stated the whole side of the car needs to be resprayed and all trim removed  :angry: Final quote £703.46.

My brother is a car detailer on the side and he thinks id be mad to get it resprayed and a good PDR session should sort it. I know my dad had great success with this after his car was attacked by a screw driver a few years back. I think I'll chase that tomorrow...

I completely agree with your brother. At least try the PDR route. It won't make it any worse!