Author Topic: CV Joint and Boots  (Read 5049 times)

Offline ColinJames

• Just got here
CV Joint and Boots
« on: 14 May 2021, 11:48 »
I am trying to replace the driveshaft rubber boots on a Mk4 1.9 TDI (2002).
Got the shaft off and done the outer one all ok.
The boot for the inner one from a major supplier, not eBay, doesn't come anywhere near fitting.
Spoke to the local VW distributor and they say that item is no longer supported by VW, so they can not offer a replacement but possibly the latest version of the cv joint would fit (at £171 I expect it would).

Meanwhile the original supplier has done some research and believes the new version on the cv joint should be a direct replacement and there are aftermarket sets available at a fraction of the VW price.

Has anyone come across this before and can offer any thoughts?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: CV Joint and Boots
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2021, 07:12 »
Are you looking for precisely the same part number? Their part numbers regularly change with a shift in the letter at the end. Do you know the concerned numbers? The latest version could simply have been a minor design change. Part number ending letter X would be compatible with part number ending A

Build thread clicky

Offline ColinJames

• Just got here
Re: CV Joint and Boots
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2021, 09:38 »
The difference between the factory fit and what is now offered is substantial, the large end of the boot is 100mm, what is now offered is about 75/80mm. It does seem to be down to the "new cv joint design". I have found a eBay supplier with a generic boot that trims down to the correct size (this is how it is advertised with the VW number 1J0498201E which is also correct). I have confirmed the reg. no. with them. I should have it next week and will update. I'll post with photos'