Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 555280 times)

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1100 on: 16 June 2017, 12:59 »
I'm sure you're right, it's a question of will I use it enough to justify the expense? I'm just not sure.
I got one for £30 off a friend so snapped his hands off  :wink:
the difference to the shine on the car is amazing , even if i only used it once at full price it would have been worth it  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1101 on: 16 June 2017, 13:56 »
I'm sure you're right, it's a question of will I use it enough to justify the expense? I'm just not sure.

As everyone above has pretty much said or suggested, it's an investment and once that rather quickly shows it worth.  And they can be sold on too, there's always a market for second hand DA's so if you find you want to upgrade later or that you aren't using it, you'll get something back. 

But more importantly you will achieve with much less effort and in less time, far better results than you can with hand polishing.  Even the most dedicated hand polisher cannot come close to paint/swirl/defect correction than someone using a DA.  Same goes for refining the paint.  As already mentioned it not just for full detailing polishing but spot defect removal and the B Pillars.  If you go for a DA with a kit that gives you what you need to get started.  Anyway just a suggestion as you have proved yourself to be someone who takes a great pride in their car and already do pretty much everything else on the amateur detailing front, it's the logical next step.  And though daunting at first, DA's are very easy and safe to use. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1102 on: 16 June 2017, 14:46 »

I'd hazard a guess that you've got a decent cordless drill, maybe a jigsaw and other such power tools sitting in your shed. Do they get used often?

Actually, no, no and one yes. I've been idle (for reasons beyond my control) for many years on the diy front as evidenced by a very small and yet rather empty shed :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1103 on: 16 June 2017, 14:52 »
Thanks everybody for the advice, all rather compelling I must admit. I'll see how my pennies look this payday, perhaps I'll start a DA fund alongside my new tyres fund! Seriously though, it has got me thinking so thanks again eveyone.

Just had a look on-line - DAS6 or DAS6 Pro Plus? With the microfibre kits there seems to be £70 in it. Is the Pro Plus worth the extra?

Next I'll be being told off for not having a jet washer :rolleyes: :whistle: :laugh:
« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 15:11 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1104 on: 16 June 2017, 15:38 »
Not detailing that I've done, but I collected my Amarok from having a two day enhancement detail yesterday at perfectpolish.co.uk The results are amazing, and these photos taken today after a night outside really don't do their work justice. They took some pictures during the process, so I'll post them up when they send them to me.

It only went in to have the paintwork attended to, but they polished the shiny stuff and the wheels too. I'm not sure if I like the almost chrome wheels now. I think they should be the same grey are the side stripes. However, being an Ultimate and one of only 350, perhaps I should leave it as it was intended. Comments welcome.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 15:52 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1105 on: 16 June 2017, 15:56 »
No, I think that looks spot on. I wouldn't want to be the one cleaning it though, it's quite big :shocked:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1106 on: 16 June 2017, 16:26 »
No, I think that looks spot on. I wouldn't want to be the one cleaning it though, it's quite big :shocked:

Looks great. Exactly what I was thinking Watts. It usually takes me 2-3 hours to clean the outside of my Polo. Goodness knows how long it'd take me to clean a big beast like that.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1107 on: 16 June 2017, 17:00 »
Looks superb Simon, what a fantastic job.  I like the wheels shiny silver, they really suit it, and as someone who has a Dark Label limited edition version on their driveway which has black wheels, I think the silver provides great contrast to the bodywork and ties in perfectly with the other chrome. The black wheels just look dirty the whole time.

Though they look like they'd be daunting to clean, on the rare ocassions I've cleaned (and clayed) ours, I actually found it easier in many ways than a Golf, being slab-sided and the doors at perfect height to access.  Just the roof thats quite high to reach but a step ladder helps.  And much less contouring so straightforward really.  The usual car cleaning gear, a bottle of Aerospace 303, which is great on the black plastics including the rear roll cover, and an economy sized bottle of tyre dressing and you are good to go, lol.

Look forward to seeing the other pics.  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 17:02 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1108 on: 16 June 2017, 19:29 »
Though I hate the pollen and splattered bugs that summer brings, I do like the long light evenings which means you can get stuff done after work.  Topped and tailed it this evening. 

Engine bay - wasn’t too bad as was done just after Easter detail, so just a spruce up and dressing with Aerospace 303, a WoWo detailing brush and compressed air for getting into tight dusty nooks.  Forgot to take before pics. Here’s the after:

Boot -  was a bit of a state, bootliner had a big patch of dried on yoghurt where it fell out of a shopping bag and spilt.  Plus general detritus from work stuff.  Bootliner out and boot floor vacuumed with Metorvac Van n Blo, then Auto Finesse Dressle used on plastic trim and bootliner. 

Before

After

« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 19:33 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1109 on: 16 June 2017, 19:42 »
Shocking state of your boot! :shocked: :laugh: Good to see that your car is not wrapped in cotton wool and gets some proper use. Engine bay looks mint too. Funny as I was checking my oil and water today and thinking it needed a good clean under there. This could be the push I needed. :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.