Author Topic: To buy or not to buy.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
To buy or not to buy.
« on: 15 March 2022, 15:26 »
Ok so here goes.

I have been offered a brand new Clubsport in white with the winter pack at £33,500. It lists at £39,050. Here is my first concern. That list price includes the April price increase so if there is another between April and actually get my hands on the car, it could push me into the high road tax bracket of which I do not want to pay. How often do VW drop these price increase? When was the last one?

The estimated delivery date is Dec/Jan 2022 which as we all know might not actually happen unless anyone as any inside info on this. Is it likely to be longer?

Next thing is. I have a Mk8 standard GTI. Is the change to a clubsport worth the wait? The deal is mega and needs to be done before the end of the month.

What are people thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: To buy or not to buy.
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2022, 15:41 »
No brainer in my eyes, £33,500 for a brand new car is cheap

MK7 GTi

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2022, 15:46 »
Looks a very good deal to me.
Add on the extra tax cost for 3 years, or whatever it is.
..still a very good deal
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline mactrack

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2022, 15:48 »
Are you sure that's the post April list price? Looks like the current one and if so no doubt it will be over £40K come April. Also given evo1986's post, which hopefully he will clarify, regarding possible spec changes/deletions it might not come with everything at least as currently advertised.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2022, 15:58 »
Are you sure that's the post April list price? Looks like the current one and if so no doubt it will be over £40K come April. Also given evo1986's post, which hopefully he will clarify, regarding possible spec changes/deletions it might not come with everything at least as currently advertised.

Sorry my bad, the £39,050 is the price BEFORE the price rise in April, so have to order it before end of the month.

Offline mactrack

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2022, 16:10 »

Sorry my bad, the £39,050 is the price BEFORE the price rise in April, so have to order it before end of the month.
So by the time it gets delivered the list price will more than likely be over £40K so you will liable for the higher VED anyway regardless if you order now at the current price. As the other poster mentioned it's still a good deal even with the higher VED.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2022, 16:35 »
In the days of very few discounts available, it sounds a great offer.

If the chances are you’ll end up in the “luxury” car tax bracket anyway, can you alter the order? And how much is it to add DCC?

I’ve not driven a non-DCC car so don’t want to speak out of line and say it’s a “must have” but DCC is very very good indeed. On twisty and bumpy British roads special mode is so much more compliant than sport mode. From what I’ve read, the non-DCC setup is somewhere between the two.

Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2022, 16:56 »
I think the last price increase was 1st December 2021. With a further increase due 1st April, then I’d hazard a guess there’d be at least one more price increase before year end. If so, then there’s a good chance a Clubsport with a current list price of £39,050 will list at over £40k by the start of next year.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2022, 16:58 »
In the days of very few discounts available, it sounds a great offer.

If the chances are you’ll end up in the “luxury” car tax bracket anyway, can you alter the order? And how much is it to add DCC?

I’ve not driven a non-DCC car so don’t want to speak out of line and say it’s a “must have” but DCC is very very good indeed. On twisty and bumpy British roads special mode is so much more compliant than sport mode. From what I’ve read, the non-DCC setup is somewhere between the two.

Think DCC is another £800-£900. I don’t have it in my standard Mk8 GTI so my thoughts are I can’t miss what I have never had!

The lady rang back and I clarified that the £39,050 does include Aprils price rise. So, if there is another price rise between April and getting the car it will push me into the height bracket.

Just not sure if I should just stick with what I have but to move up to the clubsport, it’s going to cost me no more a month other than the higher tax possibly. Really not sure what to do.

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2022, 17:18 »
I think the last price increase was 1st December 2021. With a further increase due 1st April, then I’d hazard a guess there’d be at least one more price increase before year end. If so, then there’s a good chance a Clubsport with a current list price of £39,050 will list at over £40k by the start of next year.

Do you know what the price increase was in December 21?