Author Topic: Clutch pedal pulsating/vibrating  (Read 33826 times)

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
Re: Clutch pedal pulsating/vibrating
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2011, 19:17 »
That is what I was saying. The signs lead to a transmission issue with either the entire clutch assembly or the pressure/flywheel interface.

* Off topic = I know who that PM is off, and when a person has been on a forum for less than a month and starts throwing his toys out of the pram over a simple name and saying that the forum name should be changed because of it, it's a little pathetic. Maybe a PM instead of multiple threads would have got him a clearer idea of the situation.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2011, 22:34 »
Maybe a PM instead of multiple threads would have got him a clearer idea of the situation.

Nah  :grin:

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2011, 09:52 »
Just checked this out again this morning.

On idle their is a slight vibration when you get to the bite.
Put into gear and let the car do the work (no right pedal power) lift the clutch very slowly no judder at all and a slow but smooth pull away.

Partners son is a BMW Mechanic he also checked it out same test and its 100% ok, what he says is that if you get a judder as you pull away thats a sure sign things are wrong. It should resonate through the pedal to the leg and its some thing you can notice.

The moral to my story is don't let the Mrs drive the car as she rides the clutch all the time..... says thats the way her driving instructor told her  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2011, 11:33 »
On idle their is a slight vibration when you get to the bite.
Put into gear and let the car do the work (no right pedal power) lift the clutch very slowly no judder at all and a slow but smooth pull away.

Partners son is a BMW Mechanic he also checked it out same test and its 100% ok, what he says is that if you get a judder as you pull away thats a sure sign things are wrong. It should resonate through the pedal to the leg and its some thing you can notice.
Thanks for your input but no one has mensioned judder flc1962 apart from you.   :wink:
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2011, 13:16 »
Play on words, if your car is doing as Mine when just slowly pushing down thats ok I'm told, (If I'm wrong will be on to VW as soon as I'm told...) the judder is when its fecked totally me thinks. Think you all knwo what I mean?

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2011, 14:01 »
Think you all knwo what I mean?
Sorry I don't know what you mean.

The simple question is if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal can you feel any pulsation/vibration Yes or No?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline flc1962

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2011, 16:35 »
Yes

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2011, 19:13 »
I had a drive of a GTD today and it had the pulsing pedal vibe. I sat and thought about this and it is probably endemic in diesel engines because of the 'lumpy' torque characteristics of compression ignition at idle, hence the adoption of dual mass flywheels (to increase transmission mass/inertia). At a guess differences from car to car might be down to variations in spring rate of the coil springs in the DMF, viscosity of the grease used in the DMF and perhaps idle speed.

PS. I have to say the GTD was pretty damned good to drive.
Golf R

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2011, 19:17 »
Cheers Mac.

The purpose of the DMF is to reduce torsional vibration not increase it.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2011, 19:38 »
I had a drive of a GTD today and it had the pulsing pedal vibe. I sat and thought about this and it is probably endemic in diesel engines because of the 'lumpy' torque characteristics of compression ignition at idle, hence the adoption of dual mass flywheels (to increase transmission mass/inertia). At a guess differences from car to car might be down to variations in spring rate of the coil springs in the DMF, viscosity of the grease used in the DMF and perhaps idle speed.

PS. I have to say the GTD was pretty damned good to drive.
#

Even better with DSG mac7  :smug:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf