Author Topic: Loud running noise and funky gears  (Read 879 times)

Offline DANNYGCL

• GTI forum regular
  • but plug thumb and jizz cookie)
Loud running noise and funky gears
« on: 07 May 2009, 00:42 »
My friends MK3 (same as mine 1.6 CL) whilst pulling away just made a clunk and started sounding rough whilst accelerating and idling, engaging gears seems to be hard also, I know the previouse owner ragged the shizzle off it (idiot if you ask me).

What could be the case???

He said a while back that his engine bushes might have gone but the VIBS went all of a sudden. I think the gearbox has given up, it sounds fairly rough!

usually I am listening to my own pistons trying to make a bid for freedom through the sump

Offline shepgti

• I live here
Re: Loud running noise and funky gears
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2009, 00:45 »
ahh those pesky engine bushes :wink:

Offline DANNYGCL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2009, 00:48 »
ahh those pesky engine bushes :wink:

Do you think, there was a bit of a clunk  :huh:

And his exhaust needs a change but that WOULDNT make his gearing change. I tried and whilst slowing down i changed down to 2nd gear and it just wouldnt engage, came to a stop and i had a fight to put it into 1st  :sad:
« Last Edit: 07 May 2009, 11:11 by DANNYGCL »

usually I am listening to my own pistons trying to make a bid for freedom through the sump

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2009, 01:04 »
was joking with the first comment, guessing you ment engine mounts.. dont really uderstand your 2nd post though. how would and exhaust issue change the gearing??? to me it sounds like the gearbox has had it..

Offline DANNYGCL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2009, 11:14 »
was joking with the first comment, guessing you ment engine mounts.. dont really uderstand your 2nd post though. how would and exhaust issue change the gearing??? to me it sounds like the gearbox has had it..

Yea engine mounts  :grin: . I just edited the 2nd comment  :tongue: . And i hope it isnt a gearbox  :cry: