Author Topic: Have VW changed iPod leads again?  (Read 21522 times)

Offline lew321

• GTI forum regular
Have VW changed iPod leads again?
« on: 04 January 2014, 13:20 »
I picked up my new car up this morning and while me and the salesman were trying to fit either the blue or red lead into the connection in front of the gear lever it would't fit. We discovered that my car had come with a USB port rather than a large rectangle plug like their demo GTI had or like my old MK6 had.

We pluged in a standard white apple lead and then it worked. It displays album artwork as well and all the functions work. Not sure about video as I haven't got any to try. I haven't got the advance phone option but did have Pro Nav. Has anyone else had this? My car was BW50 if that helps?
Golf MK7 GTI Performance DSG, Carbon Grey, Pro Nav, Dyna Audio, Leather, Winter Pack, ACC, Park Assist, Keyless Entry, Rear Camera.

Offline chazzypuk

• GTI forum regular
Re: Have VW changed iPod leads again?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2014, 16:04 »
I picked up my new car up this morning and while me and the salesman were trying to fit either the blue or red lead into the connection in front of the gear lever it would't fit. We discovered that my car had come with a USB port rather than a large rectangle plug like their demo GTI had or like my old MK6 had.

We pluged in a standard white apple lead and then it worked. It displays album artwork as well and all the functions work. Not sure about video as I haven't got any to try. I haven't got the advance phone option but did have Pro Nav. Has anyone else had this? My car was BW50 if that helps?

Not heard anything about any changes but this makes sense and is a much better system as it will work with any phone/music device. I am still awaiting my car (BW48) so will be interesting to see what connection it has.
Golf GTD Mk7 3dr Manual, Pure White, Adaptive Chassis Control, Panoramic roof, Discover Pro Nav, Keyless entry, Dynaudio, Park assist, High beam assist, Leather pack, Service Pack.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2014, 16:55 »

Hi mate, does it also work when you plug the USB into the Adv Phone Kit USB socket?
I did hear about this new USB version coming but, I would have preferred this version as opposed to the MDI model. :(
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline peterdoherty

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2014, 16:58 »

Hi mate, does it also work when you plug the USB into the Adv Phone Kit USB socket?
I did hear about this new USB version coming but, I would have preferred this version as opposed to the MDI model. :(

he doesn't have adv phone prep
MKVII GTD DSG Carbon Grey 5DR, Dynaudio, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera, Colour MFD, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Climate Screen, Advanced Phone Kit, High Beam Assist

Offline lew321

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2014, 17:35 »

he doesn't have adv phone prep

I haven't got enough friends for that  :grin:
Golf MK7 GTI Performance DSG, Carbon Grey, Pro Nav, Dyna Audio, Leather, Winter Pack, ACC, Park Assist, Keyless Entry, Rear Camera.

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2014, 18:34 »
Sounds like VW are going to find themselves with boxes of blue/red/green leads on their hands. Sensible move, though.
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2014, 21:40 »
Arrrrgh WHAT. They've changed the cable to USB? I wish I had this so I could use a real Apple cable instead of the VW one that falls out every 5 seconds. Is their anyway to convert the old version to USB? I guess not. :(
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline lew321

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2014, 21:57 »
Arrrrgh WHAT. They've changed the cable to USB? I wish I had this so I could use a real Apple cable instead of the VW one that falls out every 5 seconds. Is their anyway to convert the old version to USB? I guess not. :(

Hope this picture helps? Looking at the plastic trim holding the USB plug it looks the same size as the old type so it could be possible?

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2014, 22:05 »
The part numbers have already been posted in a different thread with costs, you need the module as shown in the picture and also a new wiring loom which goes to the unit in the glove compartment.
I think the cost were around £40 for the socket and £60 for the wiring loom (approx)
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2014, 22:09 »
Aside from the issue with 30-pin and lightning connectors in a myriad of colours, I can't understand why VW didn't fit an adjustable dock in the glovebox for IPods/iPhones, rather than losing that useful space in front of the gear stick that was always there on earlier Golfs.
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.