Author Topic: aerosol can blew up in boot!  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: aerosol can blew up in boot!
« Reply #20 on: 30 July 2012, 23:24 »
Try e mailing photos to the manufacturer of the can and state you are very dissapointed in the quality of the products ,and ask what they recommend for removal .
Also e mail Kia and ask if they will do you a deal on new parts .

Yes it might be worth actually taking the vehicle down the Kia dealership to left them have a ganda and see what solutions they come up with...
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Robracer

« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2012, 17:48 »
Well guy's, we finally got round to dealing with the mess that was left by the exploding aerosol can! We ended up using dichloromethane,  This colorless, volatile liquid with a moderately sweet aroma is widely used as a solvent. And it worked very well, but we had to be rather careful as it can eat some plastics it seem's.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2012, 18:03 »
Nearly looks good as new :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Robracer

« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2012, 18:12 »
Thanks, it did take a fair bit of elbow grease! lol. It's amazing how durable the KIA plastic is, it responded well to the chemical we thought. But we had to resort to using t-cut on the boot door window, the UG-90 etched itself to the glass. But with a combination of t-cut, Wurth industrial cleaner and glass cleaner, it came up looking almost as good as new. I'll certainly remember not to leave a rallle can in my Golf's boot.....

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2012, 21:19 »
Bloody hell mate, that looks like a top job! I thought that was the end of those plastics tbh. :cool:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Robracer

« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2012, 19:41 »
That's we thought once we'd got the boot door panel off! it looked far worse in the bright daylight. But thanks to the KIA plastic, it stood up well to the dichloromethane. It just proves you can restore plastic to its original self