Author Topic: aerosol can blew up in boot!  (Read 4768 times)

Robracer

Re: aerosol can blew up in boot!
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2012, 19:46 »
An insurance claim might actually work? We didn't think of that. I'll mention it to him though. As for replacing the trim, thats what i'd do if it were my car. But he doesn't want to pay out for new trim, especially for a brand new car..

The evidence:

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2012, 21:58 »
Damn! That does looks nasty...I think insurance is your best bet, good luck to your mate pal, I personally wud be in pieces if my pride and joy looked like that...
« Last Edit: 28 July 2012, 09:05 by Mr GTD »
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Robracer

« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2012, 22:40 »
If an Insurance claim seems the best way to fix this ugly mess, what would be the best way of explaining it to them. Im asking because if he simply states he had an aerosol can explode, surely they'll say, its the claimants fault? and not accept the claim?

Offline philmar

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 28 July 2012, 08:17 »
 If your Insurance was arranged through a broker, simply ask them. If the Insurance is Comprehensive, as it probably is on such a new car, can they refuse to accept the claim, it was an accident after all. Check how any claim will affect your NCD, it might not make economic sense to even make a claim.
  You could try to obtain the parts from a breaker, I realise that the car is new but even new cars get broken up after being in accidents.

Robracer

« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2012, 23:45 »
At the moment, an insurance claim is a possibility, but we've managed to find a few chemicals that might manage to remove the paint from the trim. All dependant on patch testing first of course. We've tried all the shop bought stuff, with no removal success. I look forward to some good hard graft! lol. I'll keep you posted with piccys.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 29 July 2012, 23:55 »
if you are going down the route of cleaning and not replacing I would strip the items out of the car first... otherwise you will forever be finding bits that you have missed.. this way you'll get to everything and have a much easier working environment

on trim, if you can find a chemical to break down the paint then let the chemical do the work and don't be tempted to 'scrub' the trim with harsh materials or you will end up possibly marring or scratching it

good luck with this

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 29 July 2012, 23:58 »
what about poking the mkers of the aerosol with a stick
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 July 2012, 07:56 »

Very good shout that!

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 July 2012, 08:04 »

LMAO! :grin: yes do this!!!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 30 July 2012, 11:53 »
Try e mailing photos to the manufacturer of the can and state you are very dissapointed in the quality of the products ,and ask what they recommend for removal .
Also e mail Kia and ask if they will do you a deal on new parts .