Author Topic: Advise please...Had to cut short detailing  (Read 1856 times)

Offline RFC84

• GTI forum regular
Advise please...Had to cut short detailing
« on: 17 September 2011, 20:19 »
Decided to do my first detail today. The plan was to wash, clay, polish then wax but had to stop after claying to help a mate out that had broke down! I rinsed, washed, clayed, rinsed again then dryed. Will have to finish it on Monday now.

My question is do I just wash & dry then start polishing followed by wax as I've already clayed?

Offline butler2.8i

• GTI forum regular
Re: Advise please...Had to cut short detailing
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2011, 20:53 »
Sounds ok to me but i would get a coat of wax on asap as the claying process will have removed all the exsisting protection from the paint work.

Jimmymature

« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2011, 22:12 »
Sounds ok to me but i would get a coat of wax on asap as the claying process will have removed all the exsisting protection from the paint work.

Really? I didn't think clay removes wax or sealant?

Jim

Offline OakeyDoak16v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2011, 01:36 »
Should be fine with a wash first unless you are Anal.  :smiley:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2011, 15:27 »
A good wash will defo savice!

Jimmymature

« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2011, 20:24 »

Jim

Can an expert please clarify this please? I'm of the view that clay does not strip sealents and wax.

Cheers,

Jim

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2011, 20:32 »

Jim

Can an expert please clarify this please? I'm of the view that clay does not strip sealents and wax.

Cheers,

Jim

Note that many clays will remove some or all (depending on aggressiveness) of the wax/sealent protection, so always follow up claying with polishing and glazing if required, followed by sealing and/or waxing. 

From this thread
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=93439.0

Why do you think you clay BEFORE you seal / wax?  :huh: :smiley:

Did mine on Friday and it stripped all the protection I had on the car.  Now got a layer of collinite 915 and a layer of Purple Haze  :cool:

Jimmymature

« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2011, 21:18 »

Jim

Cheers,

Jim

Why do you think you clay BEFORE you seal / wax?  :huh: :smiley:

Did mine on Friday and it stripped all the protection I had on the car.  Now got a layer of collinite 915 and a layer of Purple Haze  :cool:

I thought you did it in that order because the clay would work better on a surface that didnt have 3 layers on sealent and wax on it.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Jim

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2011, 15:50 »
I know Rhyso has already cleared the up but just thought i'd confirm that Clay will strip 99% of wax/sealant.