Author Topic: Advice Using a DAS6 Pro  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Marathong

• Just got here
Advice Using a DAS6 Pro
« on: 26 May 2010, 21:03 »
I have just purchased a Das 6 Pro.
Polish purchased Menzernaz RD3.02 Power Finish, Menzernaz 85RE Final Finish.

Pads purchased Menzernaz 135mm Compound White Polish Orange Finish Yellow.
80mm Compound Pad white 80mm Finishing Pad Yellow.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what combination to start of with I have a VW Golf 55 plate paint work good just swirls and the odd scratch here and there. Also how long I should work the polish in each area of the car. And what to expect etc etc.
I also purchased some Menzerna Final Finish 11 for my wifes Mx5, This has a few scratches on the doors and swirl marks.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: Advice Using a DAS6 Pro
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2010, 22:28 »
wow... too much for one simple reply

would suggest getting your name down for a day course to learn properly  :wink:

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2010, 22:57 »
use power finish first on the orange polishing pad and work in smallish areas 2x2 or there abouts,dont press too hard as this will inflict marring, then with the yellow finishing pad use the final finish. unless your car is very bad you wont need the white compounding pad as it will be stiff and too aggressive and you'll create more work for yourself in the long run.
and as guy said you would definatly benifit from doing a course so you can learn the technique of machine polishing as its not as easy as it sounds.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2010, 15:38 »
A course is good advise, also a panel to practise on from the scrappys.

From the training I have been given, always start light. i.e. Just a finishing pad with a finishing polish. You'll remove light swirls with that, if you have light scratches then keep the same polish but move to the polishing pad (remember after each time take measurements of your paint thickness with your PTG) then keep your polish pad and move onto a heavier cut polish and so on. Remember though, you may not get everything out, and its really a descision if your happy with the results you have without any serious correcting. It's all about balance and say you do get some heavy scratches out and you have used a lot of clear coat in doing so and someone comes along and keys your car, you wont ave any more clear coat to play with  :wink: so you have to decide if you want to keep going or be happy with your results when it comes to correcting.

My advice is the same as guy and dan, get on a course. It's invaluable.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Marathong

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2010, 18:12 »
Thanks for the imput guys. My dad has a fiat bravo with a lot of bad marks scratches etc. He is willing for me to have a go on this I dont think I can make it look any worse than it is does know.