Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 555484 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #920 on: 15 March 2017, 08:17 »
Gorgeous Peter.  Eddy is looking stunning.  Still think the mk6 is a better looking car than mk7.

Seeing those Glendales makes me nostalgic about my old ones.  So much easier to clean than Pretorias!  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #921 on: 15 March 2017, 14:28 »

Thanks for the encouragement, i will post some more pictures after Friday when it comes out the garage, but it looks great inside so should look even better outside. A couple of pictures till then, because we all love a picture...

Stunning job! Is that before a polish??!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #922 on: 15 March 2017, 17:54 »

[/quote]

Thanks for all your comments, the picture outside is post wash and just been dried, the ones in the garage are post polishing, I have a cheeky day off tomorrow and have a plan for wheels off clean, engine bay and full interior tidy up not that it is bad, but as I'm there  :whistle:

Ready for spring and summer, I have some trips planned down Rebecca's way, Silverstone and brands hatch...
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #923 on: 15 March 2017, 18:01 »

Thanks for all your comments, the picture outside is post wash and just been dried, the ones in the garage are post polishing, I have a cheeky day off tomorrow and have a plan for wheels off clean, engine bay and full interior tidy up not that it is bad, but as I'm there  :whistle:

Ready for spring and summer, I have some trips planned down Rebecca's way, Silverstone and brands hatch...
[/quote]

That certainly looks a great job. We seem to be in the same general area so if I get blinded by the shine from a black mk6 going by I'll give you a friendly flash (headlights of course, just in case :wink::laugh:

Planning on giving mine a wash tomorrow, first since door and wing respray so I'll get to have a good close up inspection of the work. Unless I can't be arsed in which case a 'feet up' day of rest instead :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #924 on: 16 March 2017, 06:39 »
So I gave mine another wash yesterday as I'm dropping it off this morn to get the wheel repaired that my bro caused damage to when fitting the SR's and I used for the first time the wax Bec(thanks Bec) sorted for me through VWROC and Obsessive Detail's group buy. It was percific to my "pure white" paint but Obsessive Detail do all the colours for the MK7

It smelled lovely and was a pleasure to use. After the usual snow foam and 2 bucket wash I applied it to one panel as a tester and left it for 10mins to cur and simply gently wiped off and buffed up. The wax left my paint work very shiny and glossy like a "wet look" finish so I proceeded to do the rest of the car.

Sadly I didn't get any pics this time round as I didn't start my clean till late on in the day and by the time I had finished the wife called me in for tea and the light was fading so any pics wouldn't of been a true reflection.

I will of course next time round get some pics up to show how well it works.

Bec has the same wax but obviously for her colour car so I'm sure in due course she will post her own review.
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #925 on: 16 March 2017, 15:54 »
So I gave mine another wash yesterday as I'm dropping it off this morn to get the wheel repaired that my bro caused damage to when fitting the SR's and I used for the first time the wax Bec(thanks Bec) sorted for me through VWROC and Obsessive Detail's group buy. It was percific to my "pure white" paint but Obsessive Detail do all the colours for the MK7

It smelled lovely and was a pleasure to use. After the usual snow foam and 2 bucket wash I applied it to one panel as a tester and left it for 10mins to cur and simply gently wiped off and buffed up. The wax left my paint work very shiny and glossy like a "wet look" finish so I proceeded to do the rest of the car.

Sadly I didn't get any pics this time round as I didn't start my clean till late on in the day and by the time I had finished the wife called me in for tea and the light was fading so any pics wouldn't of been a true reflection.

I will of course next time round get some pics up to show how well it works.

Bec has the same wax but obviously for her colour car so I'm sure in due course she will post her own review.

Wax sounds very promising Mr GTD.  Yet to try the black but should get some on after the big Spring detail in April. 

Hope all goes well with the Wheel refurbishment.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #926 on: 16 March 2017, 17:14 »
So, car washed today, as it was particularly minging I washed it a second time with a different mitt. Also gave it a coat of my FinishKare FK1000p wax. Once the sun was out (briefly :rolleyes:) the TR really glowed and made the effort all worth while. Pipes polished and rubber/plastic trims including tyres all given a wipe with FinishKare Top Kote which does a great job.

One problem though is a stain on the paint of the ns windscreen pillar, also on the plastic trim adjacent. It was very difficult to photograph:

I though at first it was an oily paw mark but it didn't clean off even with a solvent, presumably it will need polishing out, could it be done by hand and if so what would be the best product to use? Grateful for all good advice :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #927 on: 16 March 2017, 18:35 »
Great job Watts, look fantastic.  Love TR when it's all glossied up with a good wax/sealant.  :cool:

If solvent or IPA/panel wipe won't shift that mark, sounds like the mark is into the clearcoat so try some finishing polish on it.  Something like Meguiars #205 Ultra Finishing Polish is a good one and suitable for hand of machine use. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-205-ultra-finishing-polish-8oz/prod_823.html   It has only a slight cut so should be fine.  If doing it by hand apply it on a foam applicator pad (clean car obviously) and work it back and forth across the area until the polish starts to break down.  You might need to do several passes as hand polishing can take a bit of effort.  Then remove polish residue and inspect with an LED light to see progress, if necessary go over it again until it's gone.  Good luck, let us know how you fare.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #928 on: 16 March 2017, 18:55 »
Great job Watts, look fantastic.  Love TR when it's all glossied up with a good wax/sealant.  :cool:

If solvent or IPA/panel wipe won't shift that mark, sounds like the mark is into the clearcoat so try some finishing polish on it.  Something like Meguiars #205 Ultra Finishing Polish is a good one and suitable for hand of machine use. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-205-ultra-finishing-polish-8oz/prod_823.html   It has only a slight cut so should be fine.  If doing it by hand apply it on a foam applicator pad (clean car obviously) and work it back and forth across the area until the polish starts to break down.  You might need to do several passes as hand polishing can take a bit of effort.  Then remove polish residue and inspect with an LED light to see progress, if necessary go over it again until it's gone.  Good luck, let us know how you fare.

Thanks for that, will order some and update. Hopefully I won't get carried away like Father Ted....

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #929 on: 16 March 2017, 21:22 »

Thanks for that, will order some and update. Hopefully I won't get carried away like Father Ted....

Haha! :laugh: Knowing when to call it quits is an art.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual