Author Topic: Non-pp to pp brakes / BBK  (Read 906 times)

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
Non-pp to pp brakes / BBK
« on: 07 May 2022, 20:34 »
Hello all,

Was wondering - are switching from non-pp brakes to the 340mm pp discs and callipers a significant upgrade? As it is still single piston I’m just wondering if it is worth the upgrade or if I should just skip and go straight to a BBK like the racingline.

Would love to hear any other suggestions you have

TIA
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Non-pp to pp brakes / BBK
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2022, 23:19 »
Depends on costs really.

Having had both I’ll say the 340’s are definitely better but how much would it be to upgrade versus an aftermarket BBK?

Another option to bear in mind would be 357mm (I think) mk8 R/Clubsport brakes. These have twin piston and work really well for road use. They have good feel, work well from cold and look cool too.
Quite heavy though.

This vid is mk8 related but the parts are similar to mk7 and basically the same chassis.
https://youtu.be/ikIgl4204h0
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2022, 00:35 »
Depends on costs really.

Having had both I’ll say the 340’s are definitely better but how much would it be to upgrade versus an aftermarket BBK?

Another option to bear in mind would be 357mm (I think) mk8 R/Clubsport brakes. These have twin piston and work really well for road use. They have good feel, work well from cold and look cool too.
Quite heavy though.

This vid is mk8 related but the parts are similar to mk7 and basically the same chassis.
https://youtu.be/ikIgl4204h0

Thanks for your message Exonian. I didn’t actually think of these as I was under the impression that they wouldn’t fit. There are some Mk8r brakes that I have seen advertised recently for £500. I have found mk7 GTI PP brakes for £260.

A BBK would be somewhere around the £900 mark so a considerable increase

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2022, 14:12 »
I have found mk7 GTI PP brakes for £260.

Where were you able to find them at that price?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2022, 16:11 »
Unless your planning on doing track days I would probably suggest upgrading to PP spec using VAG stuff.

That way you will retain the OEM look whilst being an improvement over your non PP setup.

Also, some of these aftermarket mods could deter a potential buyer if you decide to sell in future, whereas an upgrade to PP spec could be viewed as a nice improvement.

Anything I've ever done like this is fully reversible so i can return back to standard.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2022, 18:21 »
I have found mk7 GTI PP brakes for £260.

Where were you able to find them at that price?

Breakers mate

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2022, 02:03 »
Unless your planning on doing track days I would probably suggest upgrading to PP spec using VAG stuff.

That way you will retain the OEM look whilst being an improvement over your non PP setup.

Also, some of these aftermarket mods could deter a potential buyer if you decide to sell in future, whereas an upgrade to PP spec could be viewed as a nice improvement.

Anything I've ever done like this is fully reversible so i can return back to standard.

I think I agree with you, I think this is what I’m leaning more towards. I don’t intend on tracking the car, it’s just as I have a stage 1 map coming up soon and feel like my current brakes wouldn’t work so well with the extra power.