Author Topic: OEM Changes  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
OEM Changes
« on: 18 April 2022, 20:17 »
I am with Direct Line insurance and they are pretty specific when it comes to covering modified cars, they don't. I am fine with this at the moment as i'm not looking to modify my TCR, if i change change my mind then i'll change insurers. However i may be potentially looking at changing the wheels to either Pretoria's or Reifnitz, so still sticking with VW alloys. Which leads me on to this screenshot from Direct Line:

How would they know what was fitted as an optional extra at manufacture? I have seen many GTI's/TCR's with differing variations of VW wheels, so my assumption would be that if i were to fit genuine VW Pretoria's or Reifnitz and the need arose to make an insurance claim, those were the wheels fitted when i bought the car and they wouldn't be able to prove otherwise?

I'm not against the Belvedere's i have fitted, i would like the spokes to be a little thicker and for them not to be diamond cut. Having experienced whiteworm with my Tiguan alloys i know it's only going to be a matter of time before they'll need a refurb.
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: OEM Changes
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2022, 14:13 »
When I got my insurance for the GTI my broker said no modifications as they're underwritten by AXANI (As my previous GTD had a lot) so also don't allow modifications, but I was allowed the change between standard alloys and winter alloys when I asked about them.

Truth of it is dealerships will sometimes change 18's out for 19's on the forecourt which my local VW told me, so there's no way of knowing basically. Ideally you'd like them to know though suppose you could submit a photo of the new alloys when they're on so you have evidence they are insuring the car the way it sits.

You never want any doubt that you're whether insured or not.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2022, 20:05 »

How would they know what was fitted as an optional extra at manufacture? I have seen many GTI's/TCR's with differing variations of VW wheels, so my assumption would be that if i were to fit genuine VW Pretoria's or Reifnitz and the need arose to make an insurance claim, those were the wheels fitted when i bought the car and they wouldn't be able to prove otherwise?

I'm not against the Belvedere's i have fitted, i would like the spokes to be a little thicker and for them not to be diamond cut. Having experienced whiteworm with my Tiguan alloys i know it's only going to be a matter of time before they'll need a refurb.

I believe it is possible to get a print out of a car’s build data sheet - or the data that would’ve been on the original data sheet - from a VW dealer, as this information will be held on VW’s systems. So in theory, it would be possible for Direct Line (or any insurance company for that matter) to establish what the factory spec was when a car was built, including any factory options fitted, if they wanted to check whether or not a car had been modified. The only time they might be likely to do this is in the event of certain types of claim.

You raise an interesting point about non factory alloys. When I bought my car, I was insured with Aviva. I subsequently changed the alloys for an aftermarket set and Aviva were happy to cover the car with these fitted and my insurance documentation was updated to show I had non standard alloys fitted. I changed insurers at the next renewal to LV who accepted my non-OEM aftermarket alloys. When I received my LV renewal notice recently, I tried to get a quote from Aviva and they wouldn’t quote - because my car was modified (non standard aftermarket alloys). So it seems Aviva would cover my modified car when I was an existing customer, but not as a potential returning customer.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2022, 08:52 »
Interesting about insurers changing their minds depending on whether current or not.
The initial new car specification codes are printed and stuck on the service book or owners manual depending on whether it had a service book or not so in theory any changes could be checked by insurers if the original documentation is retained.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2022, 10:32 »
Interesting about insurers changing their minds depending on whether current or not.
The initial new car specification codes are printed and stuck on the service book or owners manual depending on whether it had a service book or not so in theory any changes could be checked by insurers if the original documentation is retained.

A possible change of underwriting policy by Aviva could be the reason for not quoting for new (or returning) customers with certain modifications. Aviva’s website will quote if the alloys are manufacturer fitted, but there’s no option to select aftermarket alloys which mine are. They do have an ‘other’ modification that can be selected (which I did), but this generates the following on-screen message;

‘We're sorry but we won't be able to provide you with cover online or over the phone’.

It doesn’t give the option to phone and speak to someone (cheaper for them from an operational point of view). No skin off my nose; there are plenty of other insurance companies who would quote.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2022, 19:44 »
I believe it is possible to get a print out of a car’s build data sheet - or the data that would’ve been on the original data sheet - from a VW dealer, as this information will be held on VW’s systems. So in theory, it would be possible for Direct Line (or any insurance company for that matter) to establish what the factory spec was when a car was built, including any factory options fitted, if they wanted to check whether or not a car had been modified. The only time they might be likely to do this is in the event of certain types of claim.

I'll put that to the test next week as i'm booked in for a £20 'spring health check', if it's anything like trying to get a service record print out off them i could have a battle on my hands!
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2022, 10:29 »
My VW app used to provide an overview of all dealer events. Was useful when buying used as it logged service and repair events dates so dealer could be 'interrogated'!  Probably, one reason why it was discontinued and the fact that not all dealerships used it. I was fortunate that it was still in use when I bought my last golf. Almost as good as a set of invoices. Good luck getting the build sheet. Like getting blood from a stone probably.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2022, 22:18 »
If you do want to see what options your car came with from factory and your dealership isn't playing ball with giving you an official build sheet.  There maybe another option if you don't mind spending about £10 for 24 hours' access. 

I've used the partslink24.com website to view exploded component diagrams and find part numbers for various bits for my GTI.  You can buy parts through this too, but I never have; just used it to get part numbers and indication of prices.  One of the features the website did have, and I assume still does, was where you put in your car's VIN and it'll show what was included at the factory.  Basically deciphering all the PR numbers.

Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2022, 19:42 »
My VW app used to provide an overview of all dealer events. Was useful when buying used as it logged service and repair events dates so dealer could be 'interrogated'!  Probably, one reason why it was discontinued and the fact that not all dealerships used it. I was fortunate that it was still in use when I bought my last golf. Almost as good as a set of invoices. Good luck getting the build sheet. Like getting blood from a stone probably.

The way the 'online service data' was sold to me by VW was that i can access it anywhere online via the VW website. After a few failed attempts to find it on the website and on the VW app i went back to them, only to be told it's only available to them online and i'd have to request it through them.
I've yet to find anything useful on the app, it shows my what's locked and i can unlock it, flash the indicators and sound the horn.....which i'm guessing may be handy if i've forgotten where i've parked, it's never happened in 32 years but you never know lol. I can request a vehicle health report that comes by email, may be handy so gave it a try, never got the email!

If you do want to see what options your car came with from factory and your dealership isn't playing ball with giving you an official build sheet.  There maybe another option if you don't mind spending about £10 for 24 hours' access. 

I've used the partslink24.com website to view exploded component diagrams and find part numbers for various bits for my GTI.  You can buy parts through this too, but I never have; just used it to get part numbers and indication of prices.  One of the features the website did have, and I assume still does, was where you put in your car's VIN and it'll show what was included at the factory.  Basically deciphering all the PR numbers.

I had a quick nosy at partslink24 but couldn't see anything that immediately jumps out as a vehicle build, i did see this "Distinct parts identification via VIN input" but wasn't prepared to pay £10 to find out if it's the bit i'm after, that may change after i've been to VW on Tuesday though.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2022, 09:56 »
Well i finally got round to requesting a build sheet from VW, wasn't their fault, i forgot to ask when it went in for a health check last month! There's quite a lot on there but no mention of wheels, so i'm assuming that's the green light to go ahead but as a final check i will ring Direct Line and see what they say. I don't dislike the Belvedere's, i just prefer a slightly thicker blade alloy and the diamond cut on the face seems to make them look quite skinny.
That said it may have to wait for a bit as i'm just about to shell out for a front end respray and PPF!