Author Topic: Clubsport 40/S Exhausts  (Read 1406 times)

Offline 245PS

• Not said much yet
Clubsport 40/S Exhausts
« on: 13 April 2022, 13:03 »
I wonder if someone could tell me please, are the backboxes the same on the 40 and the S, or is the S box different? Is there anything else that makes the S exhaust sound the way it does, namely the cracks and pops on the overrun. My 40 has the typical DSG farts, and sounds ok, but would like to man it up a little bit if I can, without going too Big Boy Roy of course.

Thanks.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clubsport 40/S Exhausts
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2022, 20:02 »
They are different exhausts and a few have done the conversion, the parts numbers are on here somewhere.
It’s the engine mapping that is the main reason for the pops and burbles though.
The whole 2.5 years I had my Ed40 I wished it had the ECU map from the CSS to bring the car a bit more alive without having to resort to full fat aftermarket Stage 1 softaware.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline 245PS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2022, 09:11 »
Ah ok, thanks for the useful info. So what would you recommend? After being rather underwhelmed with the GTI PP a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised with the power of the Ed 40. More power is always nice and I have loosely considered the JB4, but not really necessary. I would like a bit more noise however.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2022, 20:01 »
I very briefly tried a JB1 on my Ed40, I’d previously used it in my 7R. I noticed the difference in power under load but no noise improvement!
If I still had the Ed40 I think I’d have put on a conservative ECU remap by now. Removing the split power delivery and adding some extra mid-range, but not silly power that would wreck traction.

Leaving the parcel shelf out does add a bit of exhaust noise into the cabin but not a huge amount.
If you have Facebook there’s a decent Ed40 owners group and it might be worth asking the same question there as there are a good few on there who have modified their cars but still kept them fairly OEM to keep their cars looking and feeling original. It’s getting that balance right which is important on a limited run collectors model.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2022, 19:47 »
I have a res delete and a CSS backbox on mine and I get super mild overrun at very specific RPMs. I really wanted mine to sound more like a CSS with the crackles etc but everyone I asked said "It's not possible to do that with the cat fitted" - but given that the CSS has the same CAT fitted (I think) I would assume it would be safe to have someone do a reasonably mild overrun map for you. It's just finding that someone.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Scott-CS40

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2022, 18:17 »
The CSS has a different map compared to CS40, it is 310bhp full fat.
I believe this is what really makes the difference
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 no.137
Oryx Pearl - DCC - Pretoria - Recaro Wingbacks - Dynaudio - Manual - 90% Tints

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2022, 22:53 »
I am not sure if the internals of the back box are different between the CSS and ED40 but one difference is the ED40 has a 10mm reducer in the pipe between the mid and back boxes - see image below. My view is this change was to mute the engine compared to the CSS. Why else??

Agree that most of the CSS aural entertainment comes from the engine mapping.

2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

chopper216

« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2022, 16:34 »
It’s mainly down to finding the right map, I put a Revo stage 1 on and there’s plenty of pops and bangs in Sport Mode, has made it sound great, even in eco and normal. Can be noisy in the cabin though on long motorway journey’s.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2022, 11:49 »
It’s mainly down to finding the right map, I put a Revo stage 1 on and there’s plenty of pops and bangs in Sport Mode, has made it sound great, even in eco and normal. Can be noisy in the cabin though on long motorway journey’s.
I have a custom stage 1 which does give some pops but only under very certain circumstances, usually low speed 3rd > 2nd downshifts.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2022, 14:13 »
Try talking to Revo about this:

https://www.onlyrevo.com/content/exhaust-overrun

Its definitely an ECU tune that creates the overrun, the exhaust won't do it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC