Author Topic: Front Assist (sensor impaired no sensor view).  (Read 3826 times)

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
Front Assist (sensor impaired no sensor view).
« on: 08 April 2022, 12:32 »
Grrrrr!

The above suddenly came on my car the other day,

Is it just simply a case of removing the grill, and looking to see if there is anything obviously wrong (ie loose etc!) with the sensor, or does it need a "proper looking at"!?

It just came on as I was driving a few days ago. Been in the car a fair few times since, the "fault" hasnt magically turned itself off...........unfortunately!

Thanks in advance.

( Im "assuming"! the sensor is behind the VW badge on the plastic grill at the front of the car?!) Ive given the "badge" a wipe over with a wet wipe, the car isnt particularly dirty either?!
« Last Edit: 08 April 2022, 12:34 by marley »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Front Assist (sensor impaired no sensor view).
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2022, 12:36 »
Did it go away after the next time you started the car?

If so, its just a transient gremlin problem.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2022, 12:46 »
Did it go away after the next time you started the car?

If so, its just a transient gremlin problem.

Thanks for that..

It didnt go off no...it came on a few days ago, been in the car a fair few times since then..its still "on"! in yellow not red if that makes any difference?!

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2022, 12:49 »
The "funny"! thing is, when I was driving the car which this one replaced ! (that was a 2018 manual GTI...I only swapped it as I wanted an auto!) to the dealers (other side of the country) in torrential rain, the same fault came on the other car?! Luckily though, that fault went off after about15-30 minutes of driving.

Not so lucky on this car though, as its stayed on!

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2022, 13:50 »
I would run a Vag com or OBdeleven system scan, try to clear any codes, failing that disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so, then re clear any fault codes that appear.
Good luck.

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2022, 14:14 »
Thanks for that.

Looks like Im on the hunt for an OBD Eleven then!

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2022, 13:43 »
Thanks for that.

Looks like Im on the hunt for an OBD Eleven then!

Wow! 

That was quick! I ordered an OBD 11 yesterday from OBD.com...its just arrived!

Watching the football now, will have a play about later on  (will look on youtube forst to see what I need to do lol!)!

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 09 April 2022, 17:09 »
Well that was fun........NOT! lol!

First of all. Man United got yet another battering.

Then when I went to try to sort out the fault on the car? I ran a scan with the OBD Eleven Pro. It showed one fault. The one I already knew about, It said to reset it...I tried many many times, it said success, yet the fault still remained, OK so I thought, Id disconnect the battery next, Did that for about 25 minutes.

Then , when I re connected the battery? The damn dash lit up like a Christmas tree! Millions of faults, I tried to clear them all with the OBD Lots did get cleared, I thought I will see what it drives like, went for a quick spin, lots more faults got cleared?! I then  plugged the OBD  back in, lots of other faults got cleared, just left me with 4! faults with the ACC.  Eventually got those 4 faults down to the one fault...of course it was the one I had in the beginning! When I went to "clear" the fault a green tick came up on my phone to say success...alas it still stays on the screen though...Saying cruise control sensor mis adjusted?   Maybe its just a case of the sensor, needing "pushing back in place"?! If so! Is it the one behind the VW badge on the grill please?

I had a similar problem with a C Class Mercedes Benz I bought during lockdown. I bought it online and had it delivered, (they picked up my car in part ex at the same time)  It was driving great, then suddenly , a fault came up on the dash, pretty similar to the fault on this Golf! Long story short, I bought the car from MB in Stoke. the said to get the car back to them, or to take it to my local dealers.i did (as Im near Cardiff so a long distance away!_I took it to the Cardiff Mercedes Benz dealer....they had it for a few hours. said it had been involved in an accident?!! It hadnt! and that it needed a new sensor and a new wiring loom?!

I said no thanks, got back in touch with MB in Stoke, he said utter nonsense! They would get me a car sent down to me, while they fixed my car. Next week, they delivered me a lovely A  Class, llovely and very fast! Then they drove it back to Stoke. A couple of hours later, I was walking the dog, had a phone call....from Stoke!  Ah I thought, thats the dealers telling me the car has been received...It was...But...they were phoning me to tell me they had fixed it!!

Basically, it was just a loose sensor, which they just clicked back in! 5 Minute job!! I did like the car (automatic all the toys) but the experience really soured it for me...so I traded that in for my First Golf GTI ! Tornado red, manual,...I loved it ...but missed having an auto.....which is why Ive got the GTI I have now!! Sorry for rambling on!!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2022, 18:37 »
The car hasn't been lowered has it?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2022, 18:49 »
marley, the Xmas tree /  disco dash scenario on reconnecting the battery is normal, the fact that everything else cleared is a good thing!

Other than checking all connectors are secure, the acc system is a bit beyond the scope of the average home mechanic?

There is an obdeleven forum where you can post questions relating to the code you have found, worth a shot?