Author Topic: Sparkly windscreen  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Sparkly windscreen
« on: 20 March 2022, 18:59 »
Evening all :smiley:

I've noticed something odd with my windscreen, when the sun is low, but bright, all over my windscreen it's like it's the upmarket metallic version. Completely covered in tiny sparkles, even when clean. Not a major issue but once seen, can't be forgotten! Any ideas?

Cheers!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Sparkly windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2022, 19:04 »
Weirdly, I noticed the same yesterday (I have the climate screen).
Never noticed before but I just assumed it was overspray from some spray wax I used last week or the Sahara sand that’s dumped itself over the UK recently.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2022, 19:16 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2022, 19:09 »
Mine is definitely from before the recent sand dump, plus it's been washed since. I'm thinking it might be tree sap, seems to be the most popular answer according to google and it has been parked a few times under some very sappy trees.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2022, 19:13 »
I have noticed the same situation, even with a brand new windscreen from VW. Sadly the original windscreen in the car met a stone..

I was also a little surprised when I noticed the brand new glass from VW has such a defect of those "sparkles" in certain light conditions.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2022, 19:18 »
The OEM factory windscreens in my last three VW’s have all been sparkly from new, so I’d suspect it’s something to do with the manufacturing process rather than tree sap. Like yours @Watts - it’s most noticeable in low but bright sunlight, but I’ve also noticed it at night when driving under certain types of street lighting.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2022, 19:42 »
Thanks for the responses, very helpful :smiley:

I think I'll spend a bit of time decontaminating, claying and I have a glass polishing kit to use up. But it does sound likely it is just the way it is.

Cheers!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2022, 20:01 »
I’ve had my car from new so that’s 3 summers and I’ve never noticed it before. I’ll give it another wash this week and avoid any wax overspray and see what happens, but if it’s still there, cest la vie.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2022, 23:05 »
Clean the inside of the screen as mine had it. Best time to clean it off is first thing in the morning when it has not been baked on by the heater.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2022, 09:05 »
Clean the inside of the screen as mine had it. Best time to clean it off is first thing in the morning when it has not been baked on by the heater.

So what is it that you think is the cause? It didn't occur to me that the problem might be inside but I did clean the screen yesterday so I'll see.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2022, 10:41 »
Not a clue what it is, but I was driving in the early morning and the sun was directly in front of me and it looked like loads of tiny sand grain stone chips on the screen. I tuned off the heat(what there was with a cold engine) from the screen and used a semi rough cloth and my breath on a small bit to test and it came off. So the next morning I cleaned the whole inside of the screen and not a single one is there now.

Only reason I new it was not the outside as my screen is ceramic coated so thought I would try the inside.