Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 98568 times)

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Gti DSG, dolphin grey.
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #510 on: 11 May 2022, 15:37 »
My car went in 2 weeks ago for the engine cover recall. As I was getting a message that traffic signal recognition was restricted and also, despite displaying the correct track to play from my iPod, the track wouldn't play using either the play button on the touchscreen nor could I move the track forward or back using the touchscreen or the steering wheel buttons. About once every 4 or 5 weeks the parking sensors would also fail for the duration of the journey as well. I mentioned these problems and the car was kept in overnight and the software update to 1896 applied. This has fixed all the faults (so far)and strangely seems to have sharpened the throttle response and made the DSG box respond better too. I was selecting S when joining a roundabout or exiting a junction, but now I'm happier to leave it in D. Not sure why this should be and I appreciate it's going to be subjective but I've had the car for 18 months and 17000 miles so I'd like to think something has changed! Don't know if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps my car had a problem before. Certainly the throttle was a bit mushy, more noticeable than my previous manual 7.5 GTi, but I put that down to the fact that this one was automatic.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #511 on: 11 May 2022, 16:07 »
I suspect that if/when this OTA update appears on your system, the car will continually nag you to download it... so if only to avoid that irritation, I'd go ahead.

How long do you think it took to download in total?

Quite a long time, but it was a bit stop/start. I left the ignition on (car parked in garage) and checked on it periodically. On a couple of occasions the ignition had shut down itself and I had to start ignition again. Also got warnings that the 12V battery was low, so this is all really a bit of a faff... you'd almost need a trickle charger hooked up to the car battery! If it does shutdown, the download picks up from wherever it left off when you restart the car.

Once downloaded, you get a popup saying that the installation phase will take approx 30 mins and you should switch off the ignition and exit the car for this process.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Chriz1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #512 on: 11 May 2022, 22:16 »
My car went in 2 weeks ago for the engine cover recall. As I was getting a message that traffic signal recognition was restricted and also, despite displaying the correct track to play from my iPod, the track wouldn't play using either the play button on the touchscreen nor could I move the track forward or back using the touchscreen or the steering wheel buttons. About once every 4 or 5 weeks the parking sensors would also fail for the duration of the journey as well. I mentioned these problems and the car was kept in overnight and the software update to 1896 applied. This has fixed all the faults (so far)and strangely seems to have sharpened the throttle response and made the DSG box respond better too. I was selecting S when joining a roundabout or exiting a junction, but now I'm happier to leave it in D. Not sure why this should be and I appreciate it's going to be subjective but I've had the car for 18 months and 17000 miles so I'd like to think something has changed! Don't know if anyone else has noticed this or perhaps my car had a problem before. Certainly the throttle was a bit mushy, more noticeable than my previous manual 7.5 GTi, but I put that down to the fact that this one was automatic.
I'm with you I noticed a sharper response and gear changes a good bit quicker on my gtd. Seems to have solved all glitches I was having I was so close to giving the car back

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #513 on: 12 May 2022, 09:52 »

A slightly different story with my over the air software update as I was on s/w version 1788 already.  I saw the 'update available' message yesterday afternoon and hit the update button.   It only took about 30 seconds and the one thing that has changed is the Navigation database version, as you can see from my before and after pics above.

I doubt anything else has changed, but as I was lucky and wasn't having many problems other the general lags, that's OK with me.

I'm guessing that us 1788 people won't get 1896 for a while yet.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #514 on: 12 May 2022, 10:31 »
Yeah thats just a regular OTA update for the maps... They're small and quick and tend to happen relatively frequently.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #515 on: 12 May 2022, 11:35 »
Thanks for confirming that Joe.   

It's the first time I've done an OTA update, but I'll keep an eye out for the 1896 one and let you know when we 1788 people get it.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline massimo23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #516 on: 12 May 2022, 12:26 »
Have received this information and there is a tpi for this for the technicians:

A software update for the infotainment system will be made available on the affected Golf 8 with infotainment software 17xx/18xx as an over-the-air update (OTA update).
This OTA update consists of two data packages and is made available via the actions OUB8 (Package1) and OUB9 (Package2).
First update is 3.5GB while second is 1.7GB
The respective software update is displayed on the display and control unit of the infotainment system and is carried out by the customer himself.
The online software update is available or will be available by the end of the second quarter of 2022.
In order to be able to carry out the OTA update, the following basic requirements must be met:
• Vehicle must be enrolled
(enrolled = The We Connect contract must be active and a main user or a Volkswagen ID must be assigned to the contract)
• Vehicle must have a primary user
• Vehicle must not be in privacy mode.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2022, 23:21 by massimo23 »

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #517 on: 13 May 2022, 18:08 »
I don't know why, after 11 months of ownership, but I'm now keen to get this big update.  Is it being rolled out to everyone at the same time (i.e. within the next couple of weeks) or will some people be kept waiting longer.

I think it's the noted performance improvements that are whetting my appetite to be honest.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #518 on: 13 May 2022, 20:45 »
You'll only get it if you aren't on 16xx...otherwise its a workshop visit
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #519 on: 13 May 2022, 21:24 »
Noted Fred.  I'm on 1788 so hopefully I'll get it shortly.  Will keep you posted.  :smiley:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport