Author Topic: Adblue?  (Read 11914 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Adblue?
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2019, 08:20 »
I was a bit peeved when I found out our Tig used it. It uses about as much as the others have said, so doesn't need filling that often. However, seeing as our Tig was first designed lots of years ago, filling is via a hole in the boot floor which is a proper pain.

New cars with it engineered in have more accessible filling. I've just bought a new Caravelle, and its filler is behind the fuel filler flap.

Both vehicles give an indication of when they needs filling. The Tig gives a warning and countdown from 1500 miles, the 'Velle gives a range in whole 100's of miles in the MFD. It is advised not to let the range drop below 500 miles and that you should put at least 5 litres in when topping up.

Apart from the Tigs filler location, it's no more of a chore than topping up the screenwash.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2019, 10:02 »
Thanks guys, some useful comments here.

Seems like I don't have much to fear if I get another GTD.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2019, 11:38 »
Does the gtd definitely use ad blue?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2019, 13:33 »
yes, the GTD does, I have a 19 plate just over a month old now, and this has the adblue cap next to the diesel fill cap

Offline indigofever

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2019, 17:04 »
I've gone through 10L in 11k miles, so I think 1L/1000 miles currently. I do 40-45k a year, so I'll let you know if it changes!
if those are motorway miles then it'll use less ad blue. It's all down to driving conditions and no two amounts of ad blue will give you the same miles. Don't spill any on your paintwork either 👍

Nope. Bout 50/50 motorway/minor roads. So I think its a fair idea of how much someone will use  :wink:

I've spilt some on the floor and it does leave a white stain, but it does wash away, so i think its safe to say its pretty water soluble.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 July 2019, 18:42 »
Someone on the Tiguan forum spilt some on the boot floor when filling and it took the paint off so I'd say it's not pretty water soluble. I'm sure it says on the side of the bottle to not get it on your skin or paint work.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2019, 15:08 »
Someone on the Tiguan forum spilt some on the boot floor when filling and it took the paint off so I'd say it's not pretty water soluble. I'm sure it says on the side of the bottle to not get it on your skin or paint work.

They weren't using some home made stuff were they? The proper stuff has a pH of 9.5, making it as caustic/corrosive as unmoisturused hand soap. It's just Urea:Water in a 1:2 ratio. Easy to make, but purity of the Urea and water (purified/deionised) is paramount to avoid contamination or poisoning of the SCR catalyst or clogging the delivery system through crystallization of the Urea.

Urea and water is basically what's in your piss, with a few other additives your body throws into the mix to get out of your system. Urea is pretty water soluble.

I'd be surprised if adblue munches through paintwork.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2019, 22:18 »
Was genuine adblue and it stripped the top coat off. It does say on the tub to not spill any on paint work.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2019, 22:42 »
Meant to post these the other week, it’s adblue residue around the base of the tank and pump at my workplace

the closest gas station to my location
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2019, 08:03 »
Meant to post these the other week, it’s adblue residue around the base of the tank and pump at my workplace

the closest gas station to my location

That'll be crystalline Urea. Someone spills, the water evaporates, and there's a deposit of the Urea that's dropped out of solution as the water has evaporated.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.