Author Topic: CarNet Security & Safety Update?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
CarNet Security & Safety Update?
« on: 26 September 2017, 21:36 »
Came across another post on golfmk7 forum and wanted to check here.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/2017/02/volkswagen-adds-security--servic
In there, it says coming to performance golfs middle of 2017 etc.

Anyone know any more?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline phope

• I live here
Re: CarNet Security & Safety Update?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2017, 21:45 »
I've got it in my 2018 model year Audi A4 - built in SIM and the car will contact the emergency services in the event of a crash, sending GPS co-ordinates, etc. SOS button also built into the roof console.

The tech is going to be mandatory for all new cars in the EU from April 2018 onwards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECall

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/ecall-time-saved-lives-saved
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 21:50 by phope »
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2017, 21:48 »
When it says 'From the middle of 2017 it will be standard on the Performance Golfs' I presume that means only on new cars rather than a software update?
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2017, 21:59 »
Yes, I would imagine it has to be built in.

I understand the safety and security, uses an inbuilt sim, where as the other parts use your phone sim?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2017, 09:33 »
Yes, I would imagine it has to be built in.

I understand the safety and security, uses an inbuilt sim, where as the other parts use your phone sim?

Yes it is exactly this.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline grahamjenks

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2017, 22:52 »
When it says 'From the middle of 2017 it will be standard on the Performance Golfs' I presume that means only on new cars rather than a software update?

Has anyone with a recent New GTI got this feature? Don’t appear to have it in mine, which was built 2nd week of October so assume by middle they mean ‘actually probably 2018’.... it’s not listed in brochures either (only for GTE).
GTI 7.5 Manual Tornado Red - On Order - due any day!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 09:03 »
eCall isn't mandatory until April 2018, however, if you are looking at vehicles with a 6 month frikkin lead time and maybe a shelf life at the dealership, I'd expect it to happen sometime around now.

Can't say its a feature I'd go out of my way to acquire... I suspect in those places where your accident isn't spotted by someone else then its somewhere with bugger all cell reception for the thing to call home anyway.

I'd probably also doubt if Her Maj's plod have the call handling equipment to receive the location data that it sends either!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline grahamjenks

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2017, 09:45 »
eCall isn't mandatory until April 2018, however, if you are looking at vehicles with a 6 month frikkin lead time and maybe a shelf life at the dealership, I'd expect it to happen sometime around now.

Can't say its a feature I'd go out of my way to acquire... I suspect in those places where your accident isn't spotted by someone else then its somewhere with bugger all cell reception for the thing to call home anyway.

I'd probably also doubt if Her Maj's plod have the call handling equipment to receive the location data that it sends either!

It’s actually the ability to remotely turn the auxiliary heater on that appealed plus the other improvements on the Car net app (parking location etc) ! The safety features obviously good in theory but not something I was looking for. Anyway it’s definitely not on my new car....
GTI 7.5 Manual Tornado Red - On Order - due any day!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2017, 10:48 »
You can do the find my car thing with that new VW Connect app thing and the OBD port dongle thing VW are giving away at the moment.

That gives you nearly all of the same VW nag capability (ie sending VW data about your car so they can hassle you about servicing etc).

If you want it, ask your dealer for a dongle, but do it quick, I think they are only "free" until the end of this month.

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2017, 20:59 »
Any further update on this? Anyone had a recent built car delivered?