Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100461 times)

Offline Tony Jazz

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #590 on: 12 August 2022, 14:57 »
Thanks for you reply.
All seems ok at the moment with the update.
Slightly quicker on some features, or so it appears.
The engine cover issue; suggest that VW design engineers pay a visit to Porsche, BMW and Mercedes to ask how they do it on high performance models.
Mk 8 GTI DSG.
Moonstone Grey.
Purchased new in Nov 2020 by me.
Accessories:
Racing Line RL360 Gunmetal Grey 19"Alloys. Tyres are new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. Both fitted 20/10/23.
Racing Line R600 Air filter system/hoses.
Racing Line High Performance Ignition Packs {Red}.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #591 on: 12 August 2022, 18:40 »
Sadly two weeks after getting the 1896 software I've now had the park/travel/brake assist not available messages reappear in the last two days. 

The messages quickly disappear but when you've spent £40k or more on a car (or even £15k on a car for that matter)  you should be entitled to have one with software that is tried & tested and works.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #592 on: 12 August 2022, 22:44 »
Sadly two weeks after getting the 1896 software I've now had the park/travel/brake assist not available messages reappear in the last two days. 

The messages quickly disappear but when you've spent £40k or more on a car (or even £15k on a car for that matter)  you should be entitled to have one with software that is tried & tested and works.

I have been on the 1896 SW for a fair while now and have not personally had any issues, and to be fair I’ve not had any issues with the previous (original delivery) 1804 SW either, could it perhaps be in part down to the hardware version/revision of the controllers that a particular car is running!? My car is a 2022MY and will likely have one of the later revisions of ECU and Comfort module etc, I’ve read that some have had certain modules replaced due to faults that presented themselves as software niggles, is your car pre 2022MY ?

EDIT: I forgot that I do have one small issue that appeared after one of the multiple small OTA updates, a lot of the time the speed limit shown on the dash appears as 30 even though I’m in a 60, it generally stays like that until I hit a 40 or 20 etc then seems to sort itself out for the rest of that journey, only to do it again next trip!
« Last Edit: 12 August 2022, 22:50 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #593 on: 13 August 2022, 00:48 »
Hi Carlos,  my car is MY 2021 so definitely an early model. 

It should still work though!  :angry:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #594 on: 30 August 2022, 15:00 »
After two previous visits to the local VW dealer with Travel and Emergency Assist issues, they have confirmed that my GTI's steering wheel is faulty and needs replacing.

Initially, they tried to fob me off with the old "we've taken it for a long drive and it performed faultlessly" but I refused to accept that explanation. I said that I was at the end of my tether and that I could produce video footage of the recurring but intermittent issue, if they wished to see proof. At that point, they admitted that the fault had shown up on their system, during the diagnostic, and that it was a common issue  So the part is now on back order from Germany and they're going to contact me to book the car in when it's on the way. Hurrah!

I had a long chat with the sales staff, while I was waiting for my car, and they were a lot more open with me than their service staff colleagues. They were not a bit surprised with the new steering wheel outcome because it's a well know defect. They also told me how disappointed and frustrated they were with the quality of the software on all of VW's current range of products, especially on their electric cars. It's causing them a lot of grief from customers, apparently.

I'm shocked and stunned by this news. Who would have believed that launching a product, before it was ready for the market could have caused so much negative feedback? 🤔

Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Tony Jazz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #595 on: 02 September 2022, 21:40 »
Just a follow-up on the points raised by our friend Sniffer; couldn't agree more with your sentiments and somewhat shocked that staff at a franchised dealer have an honesty problem!
The CEO of VW AG lost his job over this Softwear  fiasco. Didn't they learn anything from Diesel Gate?
I expect like many of you who contribute posts to this forum, we all have a long and varied ownership history of not just VW, but other brands too.
The contact we have as customers shouldn't be different across the VW franchise network; we know the Mk8 has problems as do the dealers.
A little bit of respect wouldn't go amiss after we have spent close on 40K for their product?
Mk 8 GTI DSG.
Moonstone Grey.
Accessories:
Racing Line RL360 Gunmetal Grey 19"Alloys. Tyres are new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. Both fitted 20/10/23.

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #596 on: 04 September 2022, 13:07 »
Mine is also in waiting on a new steering wheel, took them 4 days to load the new software on and then they tell me it needs the wheel changing on the day I was hoping to collect. Should get it back Wednesday all being well.

Also been having a bit of a stutter under hard acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears towards 5-6krpm but they say the logs don’t show anything and can’t really replicate it on the road.

The new Type R is looking ever more attractive.

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #597 on: 06 September 2022, 20:26 »
It’s back a day early with a nice smell of new leather emanating from the steering wheel, no fault codes on the way home and even managed to become primary user without much fuss. Was on 1666 before now this..

Offline Tony Jazz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #598 on: 06 September 2022, 21:24 »
Hope that's the last visit until the service is due!
Or the replacement engine cover appears....
Mk 8 GTI DSG.
Moonstone Grey.
Accessories:

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #599 on: 22 September 2022, 08:34 »
Latest update on my car which was updated to 1896 about two months ago is that the 'XXX assist is not available' messages are now hindering nearly every journey.  The messages flash up and, most of the time, disappear almost immediately.  The constant bong sounds are very irritating.  Only rarely do the warning messages stay on for more than a few seconds.

It usually happens when the wheels are being turned for low speed corners or reversing manoeuvres and I know others have been advised that a steering wheel replacement will resolve it, it's just a shame that in the cases I've read, it hasn't fixed anything!

VW must be needlessly spending a fortune on replacing steering wheels and don't appear to have a clue what the real problem is.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport