Author Topic: Slight judder when cold at a steady speed  (Read 1245 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
Slight judder when cold at a steady speed
« on: 10 October 2022, 10:37 »
Hi all,

My Mk6 seems to have developed a slight judder/shudder/misfire but only when cold and intermittently.  It only happens within the first 5(ish) minutes from cold and only when you drive at a steady speed, very pronounced at 20mph local roads.  It feels like a very slight misfire but disappears completely once the car starts to warm up.

The strange thing for me is that there is no issues when accelerating (hesitation or misfire) and no misfires or fault codes logged in the ECU.    :huh:

I'm suspecting either the MAF or a coil pack but I don't want to throw loads of parts on there without trying to pinpoint the issue,  being as a MAF is around £100 and four coils are around the same.

I've tried unplugging the MAF but it wasn't that conclusive as it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Any suggestions?

The car is 10 years with 82K for reference.  :cool:
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: Slight judder when cold at a steady speed
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2022, 12:01 »
One possibility to consider is carbon build up?  Do you know if the vehicle's ever had its engine de-carboned?  I had a similar feel on my Mk6 at about 65k miles.  My car was sluggish/lumpy/hesitant for the first 10 minutes of driving.  There were no errors on the dash, then once the car was up to temperature it was fine. 

After investigation by the garage (and my insistence to check), when they removed the inlet manifold turns out I had a lot of carbon build up on the backs of the valves & valve stems that had to be removed.  Once that sooty muck was gone it was fine again.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 12:08 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors