Author Topic: So my car has developed a miss-fire  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
So my car has developed a miss-fire
« on: 20 January 2022, 22:25 »
Just dropped my lads off to school and on my way home the car lost all power and the engine felt like it was gonna jump out of its bay ! Left it to idle and opened the bonnet engine was shuddering - managed to limp it to a garage and they have advised it’s possibly the coil pack ?

Any advice if this could be a can of worms opening for further issues to arise ? Thanks (don’t seem to have much luck with this car at the moment) I am thinking of px it for a mk7 /7.5
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GT TDI 2005 (Grey)
VW GOLF GTI 2009 (Silver)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline weejockvw

• Not said much yet
Re: So my car has developed a miss-fire
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2022, 12:30 »
I had this a few months back it was coil pack on number one cylinder two minutes to fix hope your as lucky

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2022, 15:22 »
Did anyone connect to the car and see what codes are being generated? Or just assumptions?
It could be a coilpack which has randomly failed given the age of the car, but it could also be numerous other items.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2022, 22:49 »
Hi Yes they have plugged it in and diagnosed a misfire in cylinder 3 burnt out coil pack and cylinder 4 dodgy spark plug also noticed coolant low so poss leak in radiator too

VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline codestud

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2022, 09:05 »
I broke down on the motorway yesterday because of another failed coil pack.  This is the third time it's happened to me in 7 years of driving my GTI mk6.  The AA fitted a new one for me by the roadside.

In light of this incident I'm going to have a look at getting the "uprated" red top ones fitted if they still sell them.  Are the ECS tuning ones good?  I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2022, 10:00 »
Dont know about the red ones as never seen the point. Iirc and its 10yrs ago now but when they were new there was issues with the EU made coil packs. Iirc if it had a H on it it was a Hitachi one and was good, Otherwise it was going to fail at some point. Think thats right anyway would have to search it out.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2022, 10:28 »
I broke down on the motorway yesterday because of another failed coil pack.  This is the third time it's happened to me in 7 years of driving my GTI mk6.  The AA fitted a new one for me by the roadside.

In light of this incident I'm going to have a look at getting the "uprated" red top ones fitted if they still sell them.  Are the ECS tuning ones good?  I'd appreciate any recommendations.

It is advisable to replace all 4 coilpacks when one fails. Did you replace a single coil at a time when they failed?

The "upgraded" coilpacks aren't really necessary. They will last as long as a stock coilpack lasts.
However if you're wanting to replace the entire set and they aren't much more expensive than stock coilpacks then go for it.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline codestud

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2022, 11:24 »
It is advisable to replace all 4 coilpacks when one fails. Did you replace a single coil at a time when they failed?

Yes over the years as they've been failing I've just been replacing the one that's failed rather than all of them.  I do have a Stage 1 on my GTI and that may have something to do with it.  I think this time I will replace all of them with the red-top ones.

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2022, 21:35 »
I only replaced the 1 that failed on my car
VW BORA TDI 2004 (Black)
VW GOLF GTI 2002 (Black)
VW GOLF GTD 2018 (Black)

Offline Wugga

• Not said much yet