Author Topic: Cambelt Change  (Read 2084 times)

Offline SunnyP

• Not said much yet
Cambelt Change
« on: 03 December 2003, 09:37 »
Is it safe / advisable to get the cambelt changed by a non VW garage? Are there any special tools needed etc that only VW would have? Reason I ask is a guy at work got his renualt laguna serviced from a mobile guy and had his cambelt done too (one of those guys that comes to your work). He later read in the Haynes Manual that a special tool is required to tighten the cambelt, which he thinks this mobile guy couldn't have had.

Cheers.

golfvr6

Re:Cambelt Change
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2003, 11:23 »
Renaults always need special tools cos they are sh!t. Don't worry, i expect there it will be safe to get it done at a non-dealer.

kniterider

« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2003, 14:08 »
will do my own as i know how when the time comes!!!, but at least if it goes tits up after on the way back from the garage youve got some comeback!!! ;D

golfvr6

« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2003, 15:32 »
It won't go tits up as long as you use genuine parts and follow the workshop manual.

kniterider

« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2003, 16:37 »
20v shouldnt be too much different form the 16v!! ive done one of them before!!, mind you got a long time before it needs changing again!! ;D

golfvr6

« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2003, 16:51 »
Just looked up the 20vT on the bentley manual, looks like it is the same as the old 16v.