Author Topic: New purchase - some questions.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline red16v

• Not said much yet
New purchase - some questions.
« on: 24 November 2003, 06:05 »
I'm lucky enough to be picking up an ex-demo TDI 150 this week and would appreciate some assistance with a few questions.

1. What is the 'infamous' leaking rear washer/wiper referred to in the CD player thread ? As my 'new' car is less than a year old I'm hoping this may be a old problem that has been fixed on late models?

2. Any preferences on which make/type of diesel to fill it up with. I think I'm after economy rather than performance.

3. Visitors to the USA will know that some Americans fit plastic shields to the leading edge of the bonnet to prevent stone chips etc. Does anyone know if such a product is available here to fit Mk4 golfs ? I do a lot of miles and would like to keep stone chip damage to a minimum. I'm sure I could make 'something' up myself but obviously a professionally produced protector that fits the bonnet curves properly would be much better. Kind regards, yt.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2003, 06:07 by red16v »

Offline Franko180

• Not said much yet
Re:New purchase - some questions.
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2003, 08:47 »
The rear washer comment refers to a common fault on past GTI's where the rear washer jet hose becomes dislogded inside the boot lid, so when you fire the squirter (ooer) you dont get any water from the jet on to the window and its actually pumping in to the boot lid, which eventually leaks in to the boot and (i think) the parcel shelf. I had it on my 2000 GTi 1.8t, not sure if that issue has been resolved since.
Previous - GTI 1.8T 1999, GTI 1.8T 2000
Current  - GTI 1.8T 180bhp 2003  :-)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2003, 08:51 »
Welcome to the PD150 gang buddy - you made a good choice!

I have a late (August) 02 plate car in which I have already covered 45k miles. I have had no problems with stone chips at all, (still don't have one!) although I know others have - I have a theory that this comes down to the colour of the car (mine is black), as I believe some colours are easier damaged than others.

Personally, I've never seen the logic behind these car-bra things - What's the point of immaculate paint-work if its hidden under a load of plastic? Without it, the worse case scenario is your bonnet needs a re-sparay when you come to sell it, but that ?200 has gotta be worth having a nice shiny bonnet on display!! The plastic things that sit on the leading edge of the bonnet just deflect the stones up, straight up into the direction of the windsreen!!!

The fuel of choice for any oil-burner out there at the moment is BP's ultimate diesel. It costs a couple of pence more per litre than regular stuff, but there are both performance and economy benefits there, which is a win, win situation!

Sorry I can't offer any viewon your first point, I had no idea there was a known leaking rear wash/wipe. I have yet to experience any problems with this, so I'm hoping the same as you, that this has been fixed!!!

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

kniterider

« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2003, 09:50 »
the rear wash pipe can leak anywhere from where it connects to the motor/spray assembly, all the way though the roof this is where the pipe goes!, so if you spray your rear washer and no water comes out your empty of your pipes come off somewhere!!!!, and screen was stains roof linings etc!!!, mine came off in the bootlid, and kept spraying water onto latch mechanism and setting off me alarm !!!! ;D