Author Topic: 1.8 Normally aspirated GTI - any good?  (Read 7704 times)

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
1.8 Normally aspirated GTI - any good?
« on: 08 November 2003, 17:21 »
I've heard that VW made some 1.8 Normally aspirated GTIs when the Mark IV first came out.  Does anyone know if these are any good, and where I can find the specs for these engines?  I'm looking to buy a 4-5 yr old GTI soon, but I can't quite afford a 1.8T, and I'm a bit concerned that the 2.0 is only 8valve
Thanx.  ::)
« Last Edit: 08 November 2003, 17:50 by richy »
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

kniterider

Re:1.8 Normally aspirated GTI - any good?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2003, 19:12 »
have no fear there is another!, i have one a 1.8 20v gti (non turbo) great motor, my mates got a 2.0 8v and mine can walk all over his, 1.8 20v is 125 bhp, 2.0 8v is only 115, ive driven both and wouldnt say its tourqier like the mk2 8v compared with the 16v, the engine is good youve just got to keep the revs high to keep it going, ive had 130 on the motorway, so it aint bad and for some strange reason its only got a group 10 insurance!, this closed the deal for me as i couldnt stretch to a turbo either! all i can say is take one for a test drive, and make sure the saleman if with ya lets you rev it!, let us know how ya get on, get lookin as theres always some bargins to be had on the run up to christmas when car sales slow down slightly! ;D

Offline rickardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2003, 21:38 »
Spot on Kniterider.  Also got a 1.8 non Turbo, and it's still bag of fun.  you did to ricky that 0 - 60 just over 9 sec as standard, probably one of the quickest non turbos on the road.  (thats not a que for a debate, all you saxo charvas).

with regards spec, besides wood dash, ricardos and 16" alloys the turbo and non turbo are identical.  ooh with the exception of drive by wire throttle on the turbo, so you can retro fit cruise control.

bset thing is theres more non T';s out there an T's so you can be picky with optional extras - climate, cd, after market alloys.

hope this helps.. :o :o :o

Offline richy

• I live here
  • neeeeeeeowm
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2003, 00:28 »
Thanks guys.  Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! - There's a couple of normally aspirated 1.8 Turbos around for sale near me at the mo'.  Might take one for a spin, so I can compare with 2.0 I test drove last week.

Do you know where I can find out full engine specs for the 1.8 non turbo Mark 4?  I know it was only put in the early ones, but I've trawled the web for stats and can't find any.  I'd like to be able to compare it with the 2.0 and 1.8T.

Cheers  :)
Rich
54-plate Golf 2.0 FSI GT.  Leather interior.

Offline rickardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2003, 19:16 »
Richy
www.parkers.co.uk

go to car reviews, then golf +98, then performance and consumption.

R,R,R,L,L,L,D,D,D, and hey-presto, all golf engines to compare.

hope this helps.

Offline Bodhi

• GTI forum regular
  • Please make those nasty VR6 owners go away....
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2003, 19:34 »
The 1.8 non-Turbo was only in the GTi for about 3 years, after which VW ripped it out and put back in the engine from the Mk3 8v. Make of that what you will. Incidentally, I've driven the 1.8 GTi and a Mk3 2.0 8v. The 8v is quicker by a very noticeable margin.
1997 Tornado Red GTi 8v - The Fastest HotBox on Fife's roads.

Modifications -

1 x Kenwood KDC-7024M
1 x Dull Aluminium Golf Ball Gearknob. Clearly worth about 10bhp on its own.

kniterider

« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2003, 20:25 »
have you compared a 1.8 20v to a 2.0 8v mk4?, mk3s not the same car, try cimparing both then see how you get on, the mk4 is heavier than the mk3, dues to its spec, compare then decide, like i said i have driven both mk4s the 1.8 20V (NON TURBO) AND THE 2.0 8V (WHICH MY MATE HAS), my motor is alot quicker, yeah youve got to rev it but hey so what drive a mk4 2.0 8v then have your say!, ( hey not wanting a load of hassel from 2.0 8v owners!)

Offline rac_gti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2003, 21:47 »
Well I am not gonna start the arguement..

Right i have a mk 4 gti 1.8 20v non turbo which i purchased it last march from vw looker dealer near my local  

I had 2 option of 1.8 20v or 2.0 8v at the same price ?9000 but my 1.8 20v is a T reg and the 2.0 8v is W reg even the sale man said not to go for 2.0 8v as it got less bhp which i knew ..
So took the 1.8 20v for test drive so the min i got back to dealer the car sold to me without trying out the 2.0 8v.      
But may i say one thing .. i had a V reg vauxhall vectra 2.0 16v which has 136bhp which i p/x for the golf but 2.0 may be big engine and faster but believe me my golf gti is faster than the vauxhall vectra even it only 125bhp and love the sound of it when racing !

i love my car and love the power it provide me !
Very happy with the car now !
My pride and joy!  ;D
VW Golf mk4 GT TDI 130 3 door silver

Offline rickardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2003, 22:07 »
BIG UP NOW FOR THE BORO BOYZ.

Thick we can conclude the 1.8 is tastier all round than the 2.0.

Like every car has at least 8 valve, unless you drive a vauxhall 'noddy car' corsa. Its 20valves or nothing.......

nuff said ;D

kniterider

« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2003, 22:23 »
oh yes! ;D ;D ;D ;D