Author Topic: Rust  (Read 2215 times)

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
Rust
« on: 24 April 2004, 11:10 »
I have a little rust around a little cap just above the bonnet on my passengers side, and I would like to know the best way of removing this without causing any damage to the cap so I can treat/spray the rust patch.

thanks in advance  :)

edit: just remembered, I drive a 1990 Golf Mk2  ;)
« Last Edit: 24 April 2004, 17:39 by sesterfield »

vwsystems

Re:Rust
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2004, 08:51 »
i'm prosuming your on about around the windscreen wipers... if its just light surface rust and find sandpaper with a coat of rust coverter should do it...

if its very bubbly it may have gone throught the metal and if you sand it you may be left with a hole.........

but other than that if its just light surface rust then just rub it with fine sand paper.......

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2004, 11:46 »
I was asking how to take off the plastic cap, in order to make treating the rust a little easier :)

R1D3R

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2004, 23:02 »

same happend to me dude. tried to lever the plastic off but becuase the rust had warped the metal a bit it snapped. i just then sanded it down back to metal, applied anti rust stuff and then primed it and sprayed, carefully puttin newspaper and stuff around to stop paint gettin all over the place!! its a tricky bit to do and the most annoying becuase of the shape of it.

im sure yours was bubbly like mine. pain up the ass.....

Offline ooh_ooh_gti_crew

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2004, 00:21 »
Just prize it out and go to your nearest dealer and get a new one. About ?3.00. I had the same problem.  Whilst you at it try filling the little recess as this is where the water sits and seems to be the cause of the problems.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2004, 10:07 »
If you take the plastic scuttle out you can press it out from underneath
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.