Author Topic: Big bumper / arches kits  (Read 10223 times)

Veedubgt18v

Re:Big bumper / arches kits
« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2004, 20:50 »
and here is the book i got it out

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2004, 23:11 »
My book most certainly says different. I can't show you what it looks like, but i can pretty much quote:
  • Undo battery -ve and disconnect indicators. Jack car nd support
  • Working under the front of the car undo the four bolts that hold it to the longitudinal crossmember
  • Bumper slides out and unclips from the guide
  • Refitting is a reversal of removal. Check indicators

The picture of the guide is the same, but not the text. It also came from the haynes manual?

Leads me to believe it may have been changed post "face lift"?

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 28 May 2004, 08:15 »
Here is what my Haynes manual says:

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #33 on: 28 May 2004, 11:19 »
saying all this the haynes manual doesnt tell you that the starter motor is part of the front engine mount either :-\

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #34 on: 28 May 2004, 19:59 »
I found that out when I was changing the starter and my engine dropped an inch or two  :o
Mk4 Golf 150PD

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2004, 11:39 »
lol me too ;D

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 02 June 2004, 21:12 »
Ok, so i was pretty woriied about not having done this properly and was getting round to sorting it out. I decided to phone the VW dealers and my local VW/Audi garage for advice. Couldn't get through, thus gave in. Later VW dealer phone up, nd i'm like let me speak to someone whos been there for a few years please.... told him my problem. He said he'd done it to his Jetta, it certainly is an engine support... Told me that i have to jack the engine up slowly til the holes line up. Then he said it took him 2-3 hours in the workshop, with a proper engine lift, and his mechanic friends. F**k i thought. So i set aside today, this time with some assistance, not just on my own. M<easured the holes on the new bumper against the old, pretty much matched up ok?! Pushed it in again, used a torch this time, and got dad to push in the directions to line the holes up. Took me 10 damn minutes, not 2 hours!! The reason it didn't fit greatly before is because of the radiator rubbers, i trimmed them and it went in!! No jacking of engine or anything. Really don't understand the problem!! Anyway thank you all for your advice and help, well mainly Veedubgti8v !! Now i feel comfortable with my engine!! Thanks again.

Oh, if anyone is selling the fogs..... or if someone can tell me where to buy some, as i need/want some.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 27 June 2004, 19:26 »
would I need to keep the engine supported when only swapping small bumpers?  I've had a change of heart and have decided to go small  ;)