Author Topic: Steering wheel leather  (Read 1782 times)

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
Steering wheel leather
« on: 10 July 2004, 13:46 »
Anyone know of anything which can be used to bring back the 'blackness' of the leather on a steering wheel?  Mine's looking a bit worn, and everything I've been thinking could work would come off on my hands :P

Also while I'm posting is there anything different from other cars I should be aware about when removing a steering wheel from a mk2 golf?

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:Steering wheel leather
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2004, 17:48 »
Get some Saddle soap from a Saddler or any other Horsey type shop.

Steering wheel is simple enough - one bolt and washer onto the spline, and 2 spade connectors onto the horn.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline sesterfield

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2004, 00:22 »
Awesome, thanks :D I bet you guys are getting annoyed at all the questions I'm asking :P

Offline 8valvesgood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2004, 01:04 »
you could use a black leather shoe dye rub that in a leave, get some strong stuff out there instead of ordering expensive leather dyes, that will bring the black back. leather is sprayed with a colour at the factory after time you wear that off and eventually you pick up the hides colour some nasty brown. leather wipes put some moisture back into the leather.

I dyed a momo steering wheel and flogged it off on the internet, the bloke who bought it said it was a top nick black steering wheel, i dont think he realised it was a brown steering wheel to start with.
You can't polish a turd