Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654019 times)

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2110 on: 07 December 2014, 09:38 »
Winters went on this morning. Typically I hit a huge pothole on the way home yesterday and have dinked my immacculate 19's.  :angry:

Pic from last year which was as mild as you like in the South, had more frosts in the last week than we did all last winter.

Nice set of winters.  Opportunity to get it refurbed whilst your winters are on?

Yes, thats the plan. Although its the laquered alloy part that got the ding which is tough to fix i think. lepsons not too far away so some hope  :smiley:

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #2111 on: 07 December 2014, 11:28 »
Just put the winters on as well, my 18's have already seen enough salt this year.

Just in time, just started snowing here  :laugh:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2112 on: 07 December 2014, 12:09 »
I guess we are all going winter mode.   :smiley:
Cleaned the Mk6 yesterday then parked it in the garage next to the mk1 for there winter hibernation.
Then fitted the winter wheels to the leon.
I was going to clean the leon today as its filthy and looks odd with clean wheels but its been raining or sleeting or snowing all morning on and off as well as blowing a gale. It can wait till next weekend. :smiley:

Maybe I should build a garage to be able to wash my cars indoors like canadians do.  :undecided: or maybe I should just spend less time on www.garagejournal.com  forum  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 07 December 2014, 12:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2113 on: 07 December 2014, 14:50 »
Measured the tread depth on the front hummm... 2mm, on the back ....3mm. Doh.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2114 on: 07 December 2014, 15:00 »
Stupid question. But what do you all run for winter wheels?? Steels or cheap alloys? And what sort of tyres.

Looking at getting some.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2115 on: 07 December 2014, 15:03 »
Standard Vancouver's with Michelin PS3's don't bother with winter wheels.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2116 on: 07 December 2014, 16:27 »
Im going to start using the mk6 for winter next winter and will be using 16" oem wheels from a TDI SE mk6 cost me £200 the set secondhand iirc .
 205x55x16 winter tyres are far cheaper than 225x45x17 or 225x40x18.
I currently use nankang sv2 205x55x16 (I think there sv2s) on my leon for winter use, they cost me less than £200 for 4 last year.
 I will just transfer the tyres over to the golf wheels next year as they have 7.5 and 8mm of tread on at the moment.
Its basically cost me £400 to feel far safer and be able to get into work which meens I get paid rather than struggle to even be able to get out of my drive, they basically paid for themselfs last winter..
« Last Edit: 07 December 2014, 17:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2117 on: 07 December 2014, 17:51 »
Stupid question. But what do you all run for winter wheels?? Steels or cheap alloys? And what sort of tyres.

Looking at getting some.

16" steels have a certain look which i dont mind and the benefit of reasonable tyre costs. I bought some 18" monzas from fleabay that had tinworm and refurbed them. Fitted Nokian tyres. I still wanted the car handling  like a GTi.  I thought i was saving money but ultimately the whole lot cost loads...looks good though :cool: and the wet weather performance is pretty astounding too.

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2118 on: 07 December 2014, 18:33 »
Might look on fleebay for a cheap set of mk6 alloys then.... I used to have a nasty habit of meeting kerbs if it snowed...

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2119 on: 07 December 2014, 18:50 »
I fitted my winter wheel and tyre combo onto my Passat yesterday. I have a set of secondhand B6 Passat Highline wheels, which I think would look OK on the Golf as well.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.