Author Topic: Elephant for 1.8T with 4 Drivers  (Read 2501 times)

Offline J5H VW

• Here all the time
Elephant for 1.8T with 4 Drivers
« on: 08 October 2007, 14:23 »
Just renewed my policy with Elephant.

2001 1.8T GTi, with myself (26), my wife (24) and my parents (both 50+), 10,000 miles + 1000 miles business use. 2 years NCB.

Annual was £491.30.  Though to pay monthly, they charge more.  But no one else could touch them on the price.

I highly recommend them, HIC, Adrian Flux etc etc could not do much better than £1000+

Anyone had any experiences with them?
2001 VW 1.8t Golf GTi 5 Door (AUM). Xenons, Heated Black Recaro Leather, Front Arm Rest, Stubby Alloy Bee-sting, Climatronic, Heated Washers, Headlamp Jets, Touareg Torch...and a fire extinguisher should it all go wrong! - NOW SOLD

2005 BMW 330cd M Sport Convertible - Sparlking Graphite, Full Electric and Heated Red Leathers, TV, Nav, Bluetooth, Active Xenons, Wind Diffuser

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Elephant for 1.8T with 4 Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2007, 14:59 »
Was that an online quote with HIC? I'd have thought they could beat Elephant with a telephone quote..

Offline J5H VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2007, 15:54 »
I tried HIC online, they could not quote (think it was my wife's age), so I then called them and spoke with a friendly lady - cant remember her name.  She tried to match it, but couldnt.  Said it was to do with the insurance group of the car namely.  Even with just myself insured, HIC could only muster about £650.
2001 VW 1.8t Golf GTi 5 Door (AUM). Xenons, Heated Black Recaro Leather, Front Arm Rest, Stubby Alloy Bee-sting, Climatronic, Heated Washers, Headlamp Jets, Touareg Torch...and a fire extinguisher should it all go wrong! - NOW SOLD

2005 BMW 330cd M Sport Convertible - Sparlking Graphite, Full Electric and Heated Red Leathers, TV, Nav, Bluetooth, Active Xenons, Wind Diffuser

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2007, 09:20 »
Hello mate!

I did get your email, had a look, then err.....kinda forgot to reply (very busy friday & Sat)  :embarassed: :laugh:

I did manage to improve on the rate with all the drivers on there but still could not get down to the £500ish you had been quoted (got about £700). As well as your wifes age, having your parents on there probably did not help, do they drive it much? I know a lot of people seem to think putting your parents down as named drivers brings the price down but if thats the only reason you put them down then its often worth looking at it without too as some companies discount for insured only driving or insured and spouse only.

Was the Elephant policy 10 or 12months?

Martin  :smiley:

Offline DaveGTiMK

• Here all the time
  • 16v MK3 GTi
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2007, 09:44 »
I am with Elephant, was the best for me to.

I also tried many others including HIC but no joy, I also have my wife on the policy on a provi liecense.

Make sure you send you proof of no claims as they will chase you up for it if you forget.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2007, 11:07 by DaveGTiMK »

Gonna hangout with the wangout

Offline J5H VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2007, 10:25 »
Cheers Martin,

But no worries, will try you again next year mate.

As for the parents, they dont drive it much at all, but it did lower the premium with elephant to have them on it. 

And its a 12 month policy.

Not sure how they make their policies so cheap.  Did get a comparable quote from Bell, but decided to stick with elephant since i heard bad rumblings about Bell.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2007, 11:07 »
my mate WAS will elephant, he had his car broken into, his stereo stolen, ipod sunglasses etc. phones elephant and they basically told him that it wasn't worth claiming, not becuase of any excess but becuase the he would have only got £100 personal effects and something like £250 audio.

basically there's a reason elephant are cheap.

obviously hope you don't get broken into, but in my experience you get what you pay for, and personally i'd rather have peace of mind that the whole car and its content are covered.

Offline DaveGTiMK

• Here all the time
  • 16v MK3 GTi
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2007, 11:27 »
Cheers Martin,

As for the parents, they dont drive it much at all, but it did lower the premium with elephant to have them on it. 

Not sure how they make their policies so cheap.  Did get a comparable quote from Bell, but decided to stick with elephant since i heard bad rumblings about Bell.

so how much would it of been without your mum and dad on it?

Are you the policy holder and the registered keeper?

Gonna hangout with the wangout

Offline J5H VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2007, 11:51 »
As for the cover levels, I have had a look at them and to be honest, they are not too bad, and are competitive for the cost.  It also covers me adaquately for my needs.

I am the registered keeper and policy holder, and the cost without them was about £50 more.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2007, 13:58 »
Cheers Martin,

so how much would it of been without your mum and dad on it?

Are you the policy holder and the registered keeper?

Without your mum & dad, just incase you are interested Jat woulda been almost £100 cheaper with us but still not quite cheap enough to beat Elephants rate this year. Maybe next time  :wink: