Author Topic: Cars and remaps  (Read 10755 times)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Cars and remaps
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2011, 21:08 »
All down to warranty costs plain and simple

what?? It would be cheaper to make a car specific for each country warranty wise.... why does a uk vw need to be able to run on 92ron?? If it was only designed to run on 95 or 97 using anything else would void the warranty (like vw do with the oil you put it!!)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2011, 21:37 »
A lot of it is do with emission rules, driving cycles, drivability for the masses, insurance groups ect.

How would putting one of your maps on the car increase emissions? Surely it would be down the driver and there driving habits. Some maps increase fuel economy right? Could the car company's not play this economy card and then charge more?

golf bluemotion

and then they add extra filters, and charge a bomb to service it.

clever really

I rarely believe any car manufacturer that says "cheap to run". Somewhere they'll make up for it.  :rolleyes:

Be seeing a LOT of breaking Prius in about 5 years time I reckon, all the 07 plate ones with their failed batteries, costing THOUSANDS to replace.  :rolleyes:

Lets buy a prius to save the planet.

made by big planet killing factories
shipped from different parts of the world by fuel chugging ships
loaded unloaded by heavy fuel burning machinery
cars maufactured by robots by fuel chugging robots
taken to dealerships on the back of a big car carrier

so it matters what comes out of the exhaust after all that... right!!!

Exactly. Plus for the Eco freaks, didn't they work out that in the average life cycle, a small engined hatchback produced far less bad stuff (no idea what it is) then the Prius after the battery has been made or something?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #22 on: 04 October 2011, 08:54 »
This is an amusing thread to read. :smiley:

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #23 on: 04 October 2011, 09:11 »
A lot of it is do with emission rules, driving cycles, drivability for the masses, insurance groups ect.

How would putting one of your maps on the car increase emissions? Surely it would be down the driver and there driving habits. Some maps increase fuel economy right? Could the car company's not play this economy card and then charge more?

Emissions and fuel economy not the same thing fuel economy will come under the layed out driving cycle. On all remapped cars driving emissions will be higher under load, petrol cars the  fuel and ignition angle is for power so the hydrocarbons will he higher. (but saying that stock 2.0TFSI engine under load and after a good hard drive run a very high hydrocarbon out put. TDIs will run a higher soot content under load.

When designers plan a car all this information is pre setout for them, they have to work with the software calibratior to get the correct outputs with in a % of component efficiency. These engine will bee tested flat out to the max at 10,000 rpm for many hours during dyno bench testing, if they last the duration the engines get stripped then inspected to work out a VERY safe working limit which will be safe in all climates around the world and using different qulaity fuel.   

So in theory a stock 150bhp 1.8T AUM should make the exact same power, simlar MPG and emissions in the heat of India using poor qulaity fuel than it would in the UK in the winter months using V-power.   But the same car remapped would make a lot less power, poor MPG, and crap emissions in India on the cheap fuel.

Take a look at the the AUM 150bhp and AUQ 180BHp GTI, exact same hardware, the ecu will swap over ect just the software and mapping take the AUQ to 150bhp you could say the AUQ is a factory remapped 150bhp Golf? . IMO the 180BHP Golf was produced to appeal to another aged market and promote the Anni as being a little better.  The AUQ engine code demotes the emission rating of the engine, look at technical data and you will see that from the factory at 180bhp it has a higher emission output.

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #24 on: 04 October 2011, 09:57 »
I'd say emissions is the biggest target manufacturers have to make,  why do you think on the 1.8t things got changed to a 7.5 ECU. Also look at mapping, the fuel to air ratio has a slightly different effect when pulled one way or another to achieve a better torque result or BHP or lowering EGT and so on, these all effect the overall emissions produced.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 October 2011, 10:38 »
I'd say emissions is the biggest target manufacturers have to make,  why do you think on the 1.8t things got changed to a 7.5 ECU. Also look at mapping, the fuel to air ratio has a slightly different effect when pulled one way or another to achieve a better torque result or BHP or lowering EGT and so on, these all effect the overall emissions produced.

+1

Just look at an Audi S3 / TT 210/225 map they run lambda 1 most of the driving cycle, its only when the car hit a egt threshold the ecu starts to dump fuel, now try and run them fuel maps at 270bhp.

01455 617233

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2011, 14:20 »
If a 150bhp AUM is remapped, driving sensibily changing gears at 2000rpm, will there be much change in MPG or only when nailing it?
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2011, 16:10 »
If a 150bhp AUM is remapped, driving sensibily changing gears at 2000rpm, will there be much change in MPG or only when nailing it?

So many differant way to tune the AUM, done right  and drove correct you will get much better MPG, but once using all the power WOT per engine cycle you will be using much more fuel.

01455 617233

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: 04 October 2011, 17:36 »
they eventually go pop..... :lipsrsealed:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #29 on: 04 October 2011, 17:53 »
they eventually go pop..... :lipsrsealed:

only mk4's  :grin: :grin:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk