Author Topic: >>> vr6 <<< golf mk3 220bhp 0 - 60 = 6 seconds  (Read 31830 times)

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
  • i need anger management as i dont take advice well
>>> vr6 <<< golf mk3 220bhp 0 - 60 = 6 seconds
« on: 29 December 2010, 09:54 »
hi people i need some advise ! i have a mk3 golf vr6 its had a bit of work done to it and runs very well indeed but as always we want more power !!! so far the work done is as follows = ajustable coilovers all round, lowerd not sure by how much ? but it handles like nothing ive seen or driven before. full staneless steel exaust, decated, induction kit, chiped, 6 branch manifold with a very expensive heat wrap, enginewise it has had bits and bobs done to it not quite sure what ????  i know all the gaskets where replaced with thicker and stronger ones aswell as stronger head bolts, i have also lightened the car by taking out all the seats, infact i have stripped the whole interior, there is nothing inside the car apart from the steering wheel and pedels. the car standard weighs 1680 kg i will keep stripping and cutting metal away untill i get this weight down to 1000kg ................. as i am cutting wholes away from the metal i will be putting in 3 strut braces as not to loose rigidity . please advise what else i can do to get the bhp upto approx 300bhp ! engine mods ? turbo ? supercharger ?

i am not a mechanic but i do now my way around a car, i simply want more power but dont want to cut my arm off and sell it to achive this ......... please advise ?

ps this car is in the process of being fully tracked as i live round the corner from brands hatch !
pps can someone tell me how to upload photos to the site as i want to document everything i do from standard to track car ! cheers matt
i need anger management as i dont take advise well ......

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: >>> vr6 <<< golf mk3 220bhp 0 - 60 = 6 seconds
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2010, 10:19 »
if you are cutting metal off the shell then never mind braces, get a full cage in there, especially given its a track car

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2010, 10:26 »
i wil be cutting away the inside of all the doors as i willl be putting in plastic windows and doing away with the glass and electric window motors and mechanisms,  and cutting lots of 1 inch round holes away from the inside of the shell, ie boot loot, back panel, bassicaly anywhere i can that wont affect the structure of the car ! but yes your right a full roll cage will be needed and i will get one, i have been looking and the cheapest i have found is £450 i will have this in by the 29th jan as i will be on the track at brands hatch then !

Offline Toby

• I live here
  • Car - less
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2010, 10:33 »
bored out to a 2.9?

n a supercharger or.. turbo if u have the ££

A real 304bhp 286lbft in a mk4 golf!

Currently down under

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2010, 10:35 »
a standard vr weighs 1155kg not 1680.. it must have some pretty big mods already to have increased by 50 bhp but my suggestion would be to turbo it :evil:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2010, 10:39 »
A few ££££'s later and you could a 300bhp VRT.

VR6 running 300bhp reliably isn't a simple task I wouldn't of thought (or cheap!).

Good luck though! I would defo do everything else you want to do to the car, except engine power and see how it goes on the track. When the car is ready for more power, slap on a turbo :cool:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2010, 10:43 »
a standard vr weighs 1155kg not 1680.. it must have some pretty big mods already to have increased by 50 bhp but my suggestion would be to turbo it :evil:

I thought the standard VR weight was 1220kg  :undecided:

I'll be very surprised if your already running 220bhp from the mods you've listed. As mentioned already forced induction is the next step for big power, but it won't be cheap!

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2010, 10:45 »
sorry my mistake on the weight ! 1155kg is right ! still need to loose weight tho at least 155kg ! when you guys say turbo it or supercharge it can you give me a bit more information where to get this done how much it will cost ect ect ! like i said i dont want to spend a fortune too get this seriously quick but at the same time im not on a shoe string budget and can spend resonable money to achive what i want ..

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2010, 10:52 »
sorry my mistake on the weight ! 1155kg is right ! still need to loose weight tho at least 155kg ! when you guys say turbo it or supercharge it can you give me a bit more information where to get this done how much it will cost ect ect ! like i said i dont want to spend a fortune too get this seriously quick but at the same time im not on a shoe string budget and can spend resonable money to achive what i want ..

Head to the Mk3 section and use the search function, it's been covered plenty of times before so you should be able to find the info that you need there  :smiley:

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2010, 10:54 »
can you guys please tell me how to put photos on as i want the world to see my monster lol ! and could you all be a bit more  specific as to what to do and how to achive more power, where to go ect ? like i said engine work has been done before i bought the car and i have seen the roing road print out showing 220bhp ! the car performs very well i have had a few races with some serious  cars 225bhp audi tt, scuby, and a bmw m3 on a 2004 plate, i wont lie the bmw could have driven pass me at any time but my mk3 vr6 performed very we and supprissed the m3 driver, bear in mind mine has 1992 technology and the bmw is over 300bhp and has 2004 technology ! we where doing 120mph in traffic down the a2 ! not good know but boys will be boys !