Author Topic: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
So my renewal is due at the end of the month. I'm currently using a broker and last year I renewed at £430. I've been with Direct Line in the past and have been considering going back as they were pretty good with two claims. They quoted the same last year as my renewal was yet this year, £1050!! Wtf?? Got a quote from another insurer which was £950! Any of you clever folk out there got any thoughts as to what's going on?

Had some more reasonable quotes from the Meerkats but Aviva and Axa had a lot of pretty damning reviews. Any experiences with them?

Cheers.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2022, 15:44 »
My experience when looking at the "not on price comparison sites" providers has been much the same - fill out the whole form and then get the quote and wish you hadn't wasted your time!

I'm with Brentacre. Might be worth giving them a call? Have to get a quote over the phone but they have always been a pleasure to deal with, quick to answer the phone, are very mod friendly (only charge extra for power increases over a certain limit, and will cover modifications as well, like-for-like) and their renewal price has gone down each year which is a nice change compared to the usual suspects!!

No affiliation, just happy with the cover and service

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2022, 15:51 »
My experience when looking at the "not on price comparison sites" providers has been much the same - fill out the whole form and then get the quote and wish you hadn't wasted your time!

I'm with Brentacre. Might be worth giving them a call? Have to get a quote over the phone but they have always been a pleasure to deal with, quick to answer the phone, are very mod friendly (only charge extra for power increases over a certain limit, and will cover modifications as well, like-for-like) and their renewal price has gone down each year which is a nice change compared to the usual suspects!!

No affiliation, just happy with the cover and service

Cheers, I'll give them a call. DL were good with their quotes, it's just this year.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2022, 16:52 »
Have you tried LV Watts? I’ve found them very competitive. I am in the process of renewing too and it’s £10 more than last year.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2022, 16:56 »
It may be linked to this OP:

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/topics-and-issues/important-rule-changes-to-the-pricing-of-home-and-motor-insurance/

Essentially they've clamped down on the big disparity between non savvy people that do not shop around  at renewal and the price you get as a new customer.

My renewal price was very close to last year's with an insurer in the same group as DL

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2022, 17:27 »
I was with LV, with no change in my full no claims history, last year they told me before the renewal, they would not be able to quote on my car.

I jumped over to AA insurance for under £200 a year with protected Ncb, thanks LV! :)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2022, 17:34 »
Thanks all, I'll try LV and the AA.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2022, 17:35 »
Was with LV too who wanted about £330 IIRC, but got a quote from Flow Insurance with protected NCB, which is part of LV, for £254!!

Factor in the £40 Topcashback, which has payed out, makes it about £214.

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2022, 17:52 »
LV declined to quote, wouldn't specify why.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2022, 18:14 »
LV declined to quote, wouldn't specify why.

When I called them to ask why they wouldn't renew my policy, they didn't have a direct answer, the agent suggested it might be down to a relative increase in claims for that model in the area,

Maybe more GTi insured with LV have been crashed or stolen in London postcodes than in Cornwall? :)