Author Topic: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?  (Read 2248 times)

Online watchdog

• GTI forum regular
Re: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2022, 18:58 »
Ive been with Aviva since i bought the car 3+ years ago. Renewed in December at £385.00 and they had no comment to make about the pedal box, new wheels etc.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2022, 19:09 »
Had some more reasonable quotes from the Meerkats but Aviva and Axa had a lot of pretty damning reviews. Any experiences with them?

Cheers.

I have previously been insured with Aviva - no issues with them at all; I left them though because their premiums were too high. My brother was insured with them when he had a claim a few years ago - claims service was excellent and so were repairs (repairer was approved by manufacturer of the car my brother owned at the time).

I’m currently insured with LV; I renewed my policy with them in April and their premium was very competitive for me / my car and £40 less than last year. I tried getting a quote from Aviva but they wouldn’t quote because of my non OEM alloys.

Don’t overlook the fact that the only time you really get any value from your car insurance is if you’re unfortunate enough to have a claim and you need to test how good the claims service is, so although it makes no sense to pay a ridiculously high premium, don’t just go for the company quoting the cheapest price as they might be cheap for a reason - their claims service might be rubbish.

Apologies for my ramblings :grin:, but on the subject of good and bad claims service; many years ago (late 1980’s) I had another driver run into the back of my car. I was insured with Norwich Union (now Aviva) at the time and the other driver was insured (comprehensive policy) with some obscure Lloyds of London syndicate. I experienced great claims service from Norwich Union / Aviva; my car was repaired and back on the road within two weeks. No so good for the other driver though - I needed to contact them 7-8 weeks later as I was having issues recovering the amount of my excess from them, they told me their insurer still hadn’t authorised repairs to their car nearly two months after the incident! :shocked:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2022, 20:20 »
I need to renew mine in a couple of weeks.

The best I have got so far was £230 fully comp, which is pretty cheap I think as it also includes some business use (Between Different workplaces)

I think that is with Darwin , which is part of Churchill. I am 44YO, full NCD and live in Oxfordshire. 2 claims which were not my fault.

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2022, 08:03 »
Got £300 for the mk5 and £400 for the mk7 both over 230bhp but this is where it gets good £640 for a 1.2L tsi 100bhp Seat Leon, makes little sense.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2022, 09:04 »
So my renewal is due at the end of the month. I'm currently using a broker and last year I renewed at £430. I've been with Direct Line in the past and have been considering going back as they were pretty good with two claims. They quoted the same last year as my renewal was yet this year, £1050!! Wtf?? Got a quote from another insurer which was £950! Any of you clever folk out there got any thoughts as to what's going on?

Had some more reasonable quotes from the Meerkats but Aviva and Axa had a lot of pretty damning reviews. Any experiences with them?

Cheers.

Aviva and Axa are two of the biggest insurance companies out there.... they will have a large number of complaints simply by volume. Few people ever write positive reviews of insurance companies - even if their experience is positive.

As for why its jumped.... you haven't hit a significant birthday or about to have you?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2022, 09:44 »
So my renewal is due at the end of the month. I'm currently using a broker and last year I renewed at £430. I've been with Direct Line in the past and have been considering going back as they were pretty good with two claims. They quoted the same last year as my renewal was yet this year, £1050!! Wtf?? Got a quote from another insurer which was £950! Any of you clever folk out there got any thoughts as to what's going on?

Cheers.

Aviva and Axa are two of the biggest insurance companies out there.... they will have a large number of complaints simply by volume. Few people ever write positive reviews of insurance companies - even if their experience is positive.

As for why its jumped.... you haven't hit a significant birthday or about to have you?

I'm mid way between significant birthdays. I suspect the really high quotes were just 'we don't want your business' type quotes. Probably the car. Called the AA last night, will see what they come back with and had a call (I couldn't take) from Brentacre this morning, will get a quote later.

With the bad reviews of Aviva and Axa, I do agree that people will more likely vent than praise but the same issues kept cropping up, a recent change to level of service. Perhaps they have cut back on staff to make savings, whatever it is though, I think I'd rather look elsewhere.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2022, 10:40 »
I think it's worth mentioning that Brentacre are a broker, and they have put me with Highway, which is a subsidiary of LV, whom have also been mentioned in this thread

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2022, 10:40 »
Need to remember that insurance is more location specific so what I pay in the North East of England will be different to someone in say Cornwall. You can't really compare prices across the country.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Meister

• Not said much yet
  • 2018 GTI - Pure White
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2022, 10:46 »
I just paid miles less than last year with Direct Line... quote for renewal in post was £530 and I called them up and asked what their best price was and they immediately reduced that to £420! Always call up and never go with the main quote.

For context I am a 37 year old male, full NCB, never made a claim and live on the outskirts of Merseyside.
NOW - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI, Manual- Pure White
GONE - 2015 Mk7 GTD, Manual - Tungsten
GONE - 2014 Scirocco GTS 2.0TDI - Salsa Red
GONE - 2012 Scirocco 2.0TDI - Black
GONE - 2009 Mk6 GTI - Tornado Red
GONE - 2008 Mk5 GtTDI - Reflex Silver
GONE - 1991 Corrado 1.8 16v - Dark Green
GONE - 1989 Jetta 1.8 'Show condition' - Red

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2022, 10:51 »
I have one of of my policy's with Aviva. One of the things i liked about it was they let you change things online yourself and don't charge you an admin fee to do so.
This has let me change my car over after 6 months to one of my others and also let me add a private plate all without admin fees or painful phonecalls.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.