Author Topic: Couple of Q’s please  (Read 1629 times)

Offline KolaKubr

• Just got here
Couple of Q’s please
« on: 30 November 2022, 17:21 »
Hi

I purchased a mk6 tdi in October 78k and never failed an m.o.t or had any advisories so thought I was onto a winner

However took the car for its m.o.t on the 23rd nov as my current runs out on the 22nd Dec

Failed !! OSR brake binding  :sad: just moved to my current area so found a garage that had good reviews, they said the caliper was seized and needs replacing, so I gave the go ahead just the one caliper £280 !!! Picked the car up now the brake pedal has a bit of travel before the brakes kick in, before the pedal was firm and the slightest press would put the brakes on, contacted garage who dismissed anything wrong even checking the brakes with their m.o.t brake tester (was given a copy)

So went to another garage who said they probably haven’t bled the brakes properly and said they’d take a look, few hours later got a call car was ready and said they bled the brakes and is now fine, picked the car up and the pedal is no different, not as firm as it used to be, car is booked in tomorrow for its retest so will see, if it fails on the same I’ll be going back to the original garage for a refund

Any ideas why my pedal has travel now and is not as firm ?

Also, a new battery was purchased for the car in September by previous owner from gsf I have the receipt it’s a drivetech start stop battery, but start stop only starts working after I’ve been driving for around 20-30 mins

Any idea why this is ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Couple of Q’s please
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2022, 15:33 »
Could it be that the binding brake was the cause of the original pedal feel and now it's how it should be, especially as two garages have confirmed it?

Start/stop has lots of conditions to pass before it's active, so it could be something like the engine isn't up to temperature.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline KolaKubr

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2022, 19:20 »
Hi jv

Thanks for the reply, I took the car back to the garage who replaced the caliper and they said exactly what you just said about the brake is how it should be now the caliper is replaced, they said as the brake was stuck on its now working 100% rather than the 75%

They bled all 4 wheels for me just to make sure, it only feels slightly better but ‘it just don’t feel right’ I suppose I was used to the stiff pedal  :wink:

As for stop start the temp on the cluster is in the middle and I’d been driving for 30 mins, I have a free battery check with Halfords on Sunday but the battery was purchased by the previous owner in sept this year so not 3 months old yet

Thanks again for replying, appreciated

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2022, 19:28 »
No worries, sounds like you are getting things sorted.

All sorts of things prevent start/stop working:
https://www.vwgolf.org/start_stop_system-262.html
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity