Author Topic: Differential service  (Read 11352 times)

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Differential service
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2022, 20:31 »
You spends tens of thousands on a car and then query about spending tens of pounds on cleaning a filter that can potentially get blocked with particles of swarf - you do the maths.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2022, 20:39 »
CookieMonster there is a lot of ignorance at main dealers about VAQdiff service schedule.

My understanding (from the VW workshop technical docs I have seen) is that fluid should be changed every 3 years.

I have heard that many main dealers are oblivious to this, so don’t expect VW to do it as part of routine service.

Nobody is advocating doing it prematurely. Just trying to stick to VW schedule.

Thanks

I wasn’t aware this would be something that could be overlooked.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2022, 20:43 »
You spends tens of thousands on a car and then query about spending tens of pounds on cleaning a filter that can potentially get blocked with particles of swarf - you do the maths.

No needs to do the maths.

Just wondered why it needed to be done outside the standard schedule. After all how many folks would know to ask for this specifically?
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2022, 21:08 »
I got mine cleaned and fluid changed at my Indy. There was little to no crud in there. (Unlike the Haldex in the R)

Because the PP diff is activated much less frequently than the R, you’ll be fine just getting the fluid changed. It’s what I’ll be doing next time.

The consensus is the same among most PP users. Dead keen to do it properly the first time, and then realise the filter really doesn’t need cleaning.

Or why change the oil at all? The oil will not degrade with time.

All that constant metal/metal movement in an engine- and we change that oil every 10k miles.

These diffs engage once in a blue moon- on the rare occasion that the road ahead is clear.

I think even 30k miles is too soon ( but i'll probably do mine at 30k!)

I'd assume the diff would only really engage once it's in sport mode, the a-b journey to the shop for pringles isn't currently a section on Silverstone to really warrant it engaging.

It'd certainly be interesting to hear Borg Warner's advice on maintaining the unit, for now I'm just following the service schedule of every 3 years.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2022, 22:19 »

No needs to do the maths.

Just wondered why it needed to be done outside the standard schedule. After all how many folks would know to ask for this specifically?

I had a couple of Discos with, according to JLR, had ‘sealed for life’ Borg Warner auto boxes - Borg Warner however stated a fluid and flush at 100K Km - I had my D4 done slightly over that and the fluid was like sludge, so now I just ask respected independents and / or look at manufacturers websites. Apologies if I came across as rude, but the difference in price of a cleaning vs. not cleaning the filter is not huge for the peace of mind (even if it is a placebo)
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2022, 11:40 »
Trouble is, there's no mention in the VW repair manual of cleaning the haldex filter out.

So when you ask your local VW dealer about cleaning it out you'll probably be looked at as though your speaking some foreign language.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2022, 23:31 »
My dealer confirmed they do it at 4th service which is a “major” and my service plan would cover.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2022, 23:38 »
My dealer confirmed they do it at 4th service which is a “major” and my service plan would cover.
That sounds like they maybe referring to the DSG fluid change which is at 40k / 4 years.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2022, 13:08 »
I have an Edition 40 Clubsport and I'm just in the process of setting up the 2 year All-in warranty/service plan and I've been told that I must have a "Haldex Service" before VW will allow me to take it out.  My car is just coming up to 5 years old (it has a 5 year factory warranty) and it has never had this service done. 

Reading this thread, it seems that my car should have had this service at 3 years old - regardless of mileage (I have done less than 6,000 miles)?  Is that definitely correct?  Also, how much have people paid for this service?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2022, 13:09 by TurboTrev »

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 February 2022, 13:38 »
I was told by a respected independent that its 36 months and the filter needs cleaning. I paid £95, as part of a full service and DSG fluid and filter change at the same time.