Author Topic: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....  (Read 13315 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: To EV or not to EV, that is the question....
« Reply #100 on: 10 July 2022, 11:09 »
Another one

Cupra Born (ID3) in Autocar 6th July, the 58khw version got 220 miles (summer) with its liquid cooled battery, but a heat pump will be £1000 extra!
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #101 on: 19 October 2022, 19:57 »
I keep meaning to ask, how’s the MINI SE experience going now Splashalot?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #103 on: 09 November 2022, 17:12 »
Sign me up Fred! Looks very interesting.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #104 on: 17 November 2022, 13:15 »
Road tax on EV's now!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #105 on: 17 November 2022, 21:46 »
Company car tax going up on them too!
I wonder if it’ll be applicable to vehicles registered before the first day the tax goes live (2025 was it?) or whether it’ll only apply from registrations thereafter. Funnily enough I was following a new MG4 on the M5 just after that announcement on the radio, (boring budget speeches and boring motorway journeys compliment one another well) it was the first example I’ve seen in the flesh. Quite a nice looking car, slightly more bland in the flesh than in photos but a decent size unlike most of the electric SUVs. Would look great with some 20” alloys.
Bearing in mind most EVs are north of £40k I wonder if they’ll be hit for luxury car tax.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #106 on: 18 November 2022, 02:34 »
… finally had chance to read up on it a bit.
They escape the £40k VED at least.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #107 on: 18 November 2022, 16:36 »
… finally had chance to read up on it a bit.
They escape the £40k VED at least.

According to the the news item on the BBC website at the link below, electric cars with a list price of more than £40k will be subject to the additional VED rate in the same way that fossil fuelled cars costing more than £40k are. Assuming that’s correct, then they won’t escape. Extracts from the BBC news item;

Electric vehicles registered from April 2025 will pay the lowest rate of vehicle excise duty (VED) in the first year, then move to the standard VED rate, currently £165. Those registered from April 2017 will also pay the standard rate.

In the Autumn Statement the chancellor also announced that electric cars would no longer be exempt from the expensive car supplement. The supplement of £355 is charged every year from the second to sixth year of registration for vehicles priced at more than £40,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63671302

And from Fleet News, which seems to confirm the £40k enhanced VED rate will apply to EV’s;

From the second year of registration onwards, they will move to the standard rate, currently £165 a year. Zero emission cars first registered between April 1, 2017, and March 31, 2025, will also pay the standard rate.

The Expensive Car Supplement exemption for EVs is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after April 1, 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement, says the Treasury.

The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for five years.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fleet-news/electric-fleet-news/2022/11/17/autumn-statement-company-car-tax-for-evs-to-increase-by-1

As the majority of EV’s have a list price of £40k+, or will have by the time one or two factory options are added, most EV’s will be subject to the additional VED rate of (currently) £355 on top of the standard £165 rate in years 2-6 inclusive.
« Last Edit: 18 November 2022, 16:45 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #108 on: 18 November 2022, 22:31 »
Very thorough as ever SR!
Funnily enough it was the BBC that I’d read on actual budget night and there was no mention of the £40k tax then, they must’ve studied the small print later once they’d digested the summarised budget highlights and typed up their initial articles. Either that or I was half asleep when I read the initial post budget roundup. Either is likely and the latter very likely!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #109 on: 19 November 2022, 14:22 »
After the budget and also from watching the comparison by Whatcar the week before I'm just sticking for now.
https://youtu.be/SzZYRFZUbn0
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.