Author Topic: How to remove decals from TCR?  (Read 8727 times)

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
How to remove decals from TCR?
« on: 06 March 2020, 13:52 »
I want the honeycomb decals off my car. What's the best way to do it without damaging the paint? I have a heatgun and tar/glue remover for the residue but really don't want to pull any paint off in the process!!

I assume they're just vinyl stickers that can be peeled off. Then the paint may need some correction afterwards, which is no problem

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: How to remove decals from TCR?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2020, 18:10 »
From that it sounds like you know exactly what is required  :smiley:

I'd be tempted to visit a signwriter, get their advice and for a few quid on a big money GTI, get them to do it.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2020, 00:16 »
I just decided to have a go at it today as having worked in window tinting/vinyl wrapping before - how hard could it be?

Turns out it's very easy. Here's the steps I took in case anyone else ever wants to remove TCR decals from their car. Unlikely but you never know.

1. Get a heatgun for £11.99 from Screwfix - https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb467htg-2000w-electric-heat-gun-240v/59740

2. Get some tar and glue remover. I used this one from Detailed Online - https://detailedonline.co.uk/collections/decontamination/products/tar-glue-remover

3. Wash the area with the stickers on with APC and rinse thoroughly, then dry

4. Carefully apply heat to a sticker with the heatgun. Literally about 10 seconds at a time from relatively far away

5. Gently try to get the corner of the sticker and peel it off. It should come off easily. If not, add a bit more heat and try again. None of the ones on my car were difficult to remove at all.

6. Throw this lot in the bin.

7. Spray the tar/glue remover all over the areas where the stickers were. Leave to soak for a bit then remove the residue with a microfibre. No pics of this.

8. Wash the car (not essential but nice to do after removing them) and enjoy the side of the car with no stickers on it  :cool:

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2020, 19:48 »
Nice job and great write-up.

Car looks so much better without them!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2020, 09:06 »
Much better, but you might want to add some protection, as the tar remover will have stripped any wax or sealant.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2020, 11:54 »
looks better in my opinion.
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk