Author Topic: What the difference? GTD Blueline..  (Read 28218 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
What the difference? GTD Blueline..
« on: 01 April 2017, 12:05 »
Looking at the VW website configurator for the facelifted GTD.

Noticed there are now TWO engine options. The GTD 2.0 TDI and the GTD 2.0 Blueline TDI.

The Blueline version is also .01 of a sec quicker to 0-62mph, 7.4sec, compared to the non Blueline time of 7.5sec.
So what on earth is the Blueline version of the GTD engine and why does it make a difference to performance?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What the difference? GTD Blueline..
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2017, 12:32 »
The Blueline version has 17" Curitiba wheels as opposed to the non-Blueline version that has 18" Sevilla wheels as standard, with two options for 19" Brescias or 19" Santiagos.

I'm assuming the 17" Curitiba wheels are lighter than the Sevillas (or optional Besicas or Santiagos), hence the 0.1 sec better acceleration time to 62mph.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2017, 14:04 »
Blueline is a little tweak to overall spec which gives a slightly reduced CO2 rating, primarily for company car tax purposes/P11D purposes - makes the benefit in kind tax rates a little lower
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2017, 14:41 »
They think of everything at VW don't they!? :smiley: Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 15:43 by GTDING »

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2017, 14:48 »
The Blueline version has 17" Curitiba wheels as opposed to the non-Blueline version that has 18" Sevilla wheels as standard, with two options for 19" Brescias or 19" Santiagos.

I'm assuming the 17" Curitiba wheels are lighter than the Sevillas (or optional Besicas or Santiagos), hence the 0.1 sec better acceleration time to 62mph.

I understand that smaller diameter wheels equal faster acceleration; larger diameter wheels, higher top speed, slightly slower acceleration. I guess they must affect fuel economy too, as I think they quote different figures between the two versions for that too.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2017, 15:09 »
The fleet market is so important to the big manufacturers that offering minor differences in specs/trims tailored to suit the market is going to be more and more common, even if some of the tweaks result in 'only' a couple of grams of CO2 savings in the (unrepresentative!) official tests

For reasons of tax and national insurance, my employer (a large FTSE100) has decided to stop offering access to any vehicles with over 75g/km CO2 on the company scheme from April 2017 onwards, which kinda rules out anything that isn't a plug in hybrid or full EV....so I'd expect most drivers that have taken something like the GTD previously will now be looking at the GTE instead

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2017, 15:13 »
The fleet market is so important to the big manufacturers that offering minor differences in specs/trims tailored to suit the market is going to be more and more common, even if some of the tweaks result in 'only' a couple of grams of CO2 savings in the (unrepresentative!) official tests

For reasons of tax and national insurance, my employer (a large FTSE100) has decided to stop offering access to any vehicles with over 75g/km CO2 on the company scheme from April 2017 onwards, which kinda rules out anything that isn't a plug in hybrid or full EV....so I'd expect most drivers that have taken something like the GTD previously will now be looking at the GTE instead

That takes the biscuit for sure! Just counting the pennies, as they do.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2017, 15:20 »
I understand that smaller diameter wheels equal faster acceleration; larger diameter wheels, higher top speed, slightly slower acceleration. I guess they must affect fuel economy too, as I think they quote different figures between the two versions for that too.

Nope, the reason for the difference in acceleration is down to mass of the wheel/tyre combination...

The overall rolling circumference for the 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels will be, as close, as makes no difference.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 15:30 »

That takes the biscuit for sure! Just counting the pennies, as they do.

Hundreds of thousands a year across the company fleet  :shocked:

Kinda looking forward to a PHEV or BEV in a couple of years once the tech is a bit more mature

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2017, 15:36 »

Nope, the reason for the difference in acceleration is down to mass of the wheel/tyre combination...

The overall rolling circumference for the 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels will be, as close, as makes no
difference.

How much weight would they be saving over an 18inch?

« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 15:41 by GTDING »