Author Topic: Mk2 1.3 carbed to mk2 1.8 8v conversion  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Renman8957

• Not said much yet
Mk2 1.3 carbed to mk2 1.8 8v conversion
« on: 18 November 2010, 20:20 »
Right, recently I bought a 1.3 mk2 golf, but I'm wanting to do a gti 8v conversion to it. As you can imagine, I've more than a number of questions. Now I'm picking the engine up in about a week straight from teh car, I'd like a clear list of exactly everything I'm going to need to take from that car for this, where potential problems I'll have in removal and installation are going to be, and basically any help or information anyone can give me for doing this, and no 'Don't bother' type rubbish, I'm not interested in that at all thanks.
Now the 1.8 is from a 1989, I've 2 pics of it if thats of any use to anyone or me for other people to point stuff out to me for help.
My mk2 is a 1990 carbed as I've mentioned before.
Thanks guys, any help is appreciated

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Mk2 1.3 carbed to mk2 1.8 8v conversion
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2010, 23:50 »
Would and going to be a whole lot easier with a donor car as I believe you will need fuel tank and lines.

What makes you want to do it.

Offline Renman8957

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2010, 08:12 »
I can take the doner car, its only an extra £80, and then another £90 to get it lifted to the garage where the work will be done. The problem is then I've a spare golf shell, a good one at that. I bought the 1.3 knowing I couldn't insure a gti, as I'm 21 with no no claims bonus as I've been riding motorbikes for the last 2 years, and live in northern ireland, where insurance companies love to rape everyone all day long. The 1.3 is leaking oil and using alot of fuel, and I'd like more power in my sleeper 5 door with small bumpers, and non-matching boot and bonnet

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2010, 10:40 »
trouble is donor car has the wrong fusebox by the looks of it, which means lots of wire splicing. pre-90 have CE1 fusebox, post-90 have CE2 fusebox. easy way to check, look at hazard switch. hazard on dash = ce1, hazard on column = ce2.

yeah you'll need mk2 digifant fuel pump, lines and in-tank pump from the donor, this can be had from pre or post-90 mk2 digifant. just be aware pre-90 in-tank pump has 3 pins, post-90 has 4. so bear that in mind when sorting out pump wiring.  at least if you have ce2 that side is easier, the fuel pump loom is on its own 4 pin plug on back of fusebox, so can strip just this part out of a donor and run it alongside carby rear loom. but if it was me id replace the whole rear loom with gti one.

another option is to get fuel tank, lines and under car fuel filter from any petrol MK3 Golf, use MK3 GTI in-tank pump. that way you're all set if you want to go vr or abf in future, plus you have a newer tank and pump than what you would find on a mk2.  however if you did that, this would make it harder to go k-jet if you wanted so bear that in mind.

if your car is ce2, you'll want to get a 90spec gti 8v engine loom ideally for an easy life. don't forget to replace the brake servo for a 9" one! it has to come off the bulkhead to change the engine loom, so might as well put on a bigger one while you're there.

but think hard if you really want to do this, since abf engines and donor cars are coming up all over the shop for cheap, will be pretty much same amount of work and you'll get a lot more power for your efforts :)
the abf is available in all kinds of dull cars such as alhambra etc, which might make it easier to insure your conversion
« Last Edit: 19 November 2010, 10:41 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Renman8957

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2010, 10:54 »
Mine is CE1 as it had hazard light button on the dash, just behind the steering wheel, I assume thats right? and I'd assume as the 8v gti is 1989 it'd be the same in that respect or were all gtis CE2? Basically I take it I would be alot better off getting the whole doner car rather than working very hard to get everything off it in less than a day.
Then basically what I need to do the conversion from the doner car is the engine, complete loom, fuel tank, pump and lines, and then I take it I'll need the front subframe and driveshafts etc

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2010, 10:55 »
I can take the doner car, its only an extra £80, and then another £90 to get it lifted to the garage where the work will be done. The problem is then I've a spare golf shell, a good one at that. I bought the 1.3 knowing I couldn't insure a gti, as I'm 21 with no no claims bonus as I've been riding motorbikes for the last 2 years, and live in northern ireland, where insurance companies love to rape everyone all day long. The 1.3 is leaking oil and using alot of fuel, and I'd like more power in my sleeper 5 door with small bumpers, and non-matching boot and bonnet

So I take it then your not going to declare it to the insurance.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2010, 11:29 »
sorted then, all plug n play. but as wayne says, please tell us you are going to declare it?

Offline Renman8957

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2010, 11:39 »
Better idea, keeping the 5 door as the run around and restoring the gti until I can afford to insure it

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 19 November 2010, 11:56 »
best plan i think :)