Author Topic: Fitting Catch Can  (Read 10100 times)

Offline DubAndDubber

• I live here
Re: Fitting Catch Can
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2012, 00:04 »
Can always rely on you for some decent advice Cully! Its just so bloody fiddly in such a tight space that makes it difficult.

The only thing thats worrying me is that the outlets on the can are at a 45 degree angle so as the hose goes on it wants to bend and kink. Would it be a better idea to put the reducers further away so the 19mm hose will be the short ones?

Where did you get the oil breather pipe from?
Mk5 Golf Gti 06'

jockgti

« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2012, 00:06 »
would look neater if you swapped them over on catchcan

« Last Edit: 03 July 2012, 00:10 by jockgti »

Offline DubAndDubber

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2012, 00:10 »
would look neater if you swapped them over on catchcan

Thats not a bad shout buddy. Also, the little pipe that i've blocked off that you can see. Cant i just put a single hose there instead. Whats in the middle of it? Some sort of return valve?
Mk5 Golf Gti 06'

jockgti

« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2012, 00:14 »
its the brake booster line and yeah i just put a straight bit on,its a check valve i just left it on,mine looks a bit different now as i've got my boost gauge piping and a new bracket for the can

Offline cullygti

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2012, 00:14 »
i got my breather pipe from dealers mate cost close on £30 think they are half that from tps there was a link on here a while back  :wink:

as you can see in my pic i kept getting the kink which is now sorted may be different as i had custom 19mm fittings made

i drive a golf thats why im skint!!!!

losing interest in the golf and now not so skint !!!!!

Offline km

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2012, 00:19 »
i had that kink problem when i first installed mine, i just bought a 90 degree bend :)

Offline cullygti

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2012, 00:20 »
i had that kink problem when i first installed mine, i just bought a 90 degree bend :)

its sorted now mate i wanted to use the least amount of connections as possible in theory less connections less chance of a leak  :wink:

Offline cullygti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2012, 00:26 »
i you have fittings to attach to on the side of your can you may be better off putting it where me and jock have as you can see how the pipe bends around tidy and do as jock said and change the ends over on catch can end to place mine where it is i used a piece of metal and bent it into an l shape and fixed to the plate under the cover using self tapping screws  :smiley:

Offline DubAndDubber

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2012, 00:44 »
Cheers for all your help guys, ive drew a few pictures so i think i know what to do now! Ill update you on Wednesday, i bought a breather hose on ebay, fingers crossed itll be here if not ill have to take a trip to TPS i think! Also, as you can see in my pic, the SAI pipe has snapped in two, ive put some masking tape on it for a VERY quick bodge. Would this cause any loss in boost or anything? May just bypass it at the same time if its not important.
Mk5 Golf Gti 06'

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2012, 06:29 »
Cheers for all your help guys, ive drew a few pictures so i think i know what to do now! Ill update you on Wednesday, i bought a breather hose on ebay, fingers crossed itll be here if not ill have to take a trip to TPS i think! Also, as you can see in my pic, the SAI pipe has snapped in two, ive put some masking tape on it for a VERY quick bodge. Would this cause any loss in boost or anything? May just bypass it at the same time if its not important.

you wont loose boost from the SAI but it frees space in the bay if you get rid :smiley:
I'd be tempted to use 2 small pieces of tubing off the 15mm fixings, then 45 degree plastic connectors before running the main pipes to rocker and puck
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)