Author Topic: Imperial cars ( no tax)  (Read 1255 times)

Offline emery1990

• I live here
Imperial cars ( no tax)
« on: 30 October 2014, 19:55 »
What are the rules on someone like imperial cars selling a car without road tax.

I purchased a car off them on the 17/9 but paid a deposit of £200 on the 14/9, anyway I could swear The bloke said all our cars have at least 3 months MOT and TAX.

Anyway had a letter saying my car has been untaxed since the 16/9, I probably know my fault for not asking in the first place? To make it worse its all my ex's fault  :rolleyes:

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
Re: Imperial cars ( no tax)
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2014, 08:35 »
Dependant upon when the car was signed over to you, does if fall in line with the new rules whereby car tax does not transfer over?

do you have anything that states that the car will come with three months tax and mot atleast? if you do you could try taking them to a small claims court, if not then put it down to experience, pay the fine and get some tax.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2014, 18:49 »
I bought our 1 series from Imperial in July.  Nobody mentioned that to me and ours didn't come with any tax, although for £30 a year it made no difference to me.  I'd not recommend them to anyone though, turns out our car has had paint applied to every single panel.  The wife bought the car, but the I didn't notice it at first either so it was only when filling with fuel I notice some sinking below the cap from a previous filler repair not done well.  After looking closely I noticed every single panel showed signs of repair, confirmed by snows BMW who got a PDG on it, and told me my paint and corrosion guarantee is now void.  Certainly not something you expect from a 3 year old car.  Imperial wouldn't entertain any kind of refund or compensation as it doesn't affect the intended use, but we have 4k of the car on finance (list price was 12k) and we are in negotiations with the finance company for a refund.  Imperial buy ex fleet cars at auction and make them look presentable, but I've heard they have gone through many finance and warranty companies as many now won't deal with them due to previous problems.  The sales assistants don't know their arse from their elbow either, and they hide behind a couple of switched on cookies at middle management, and legal representatives.  Steer clear in future is my advise.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2014, 14:54 »
I don't like dealing with larger companies because they always have a way out and don't care about customers, prices are also higher.

I bought a Mazda 5 from a small company run from his house, I was just talking to him about anything and everything for about an hour over a cuppa tea and he seemed genuine and really helpful. The car only had just over 3 months mot left and before I went to view it I asked if he could get it MOT'd, he had it booked in the next day I was due to view it and I collected it after work the same day.

Some MOT testers are ridiculous, 1 advisory because a picknick tray was up and the engine cover was on blocking visible access to the engine bay! The only real advisory was the rear discs were slightly worn.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2014, 09:38 »
Some MOT testers are ridiculous, 1 advisory because a picknick tray was up and the engine cover was on blocking visible access to the engine bay! The only real advisory was the rear discs were slightly worn.

They have to issue those advisories - they can't strip the car to check for oil leaks, or damage, so to protect themselves, they have to note they can't see things because of the covers on the vehicle.

I know someone who had a car failed first time around because there was a soft toy in the windscreen.  MOT is just a box-ticking exercise, but it's better than nothing and much less painful than the tests in Germany, France and Spain.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.